Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry every two hours page

brokenbones67 is offline Junior Member

Hungry every two hours

Shop Now
    Background info: Been Primal for 9 months. Iím 5í11Ē and went from 196 to mid 160s to low 170s. The transition was not bad at all. I dropped 28-30lbs in 45days. Energy levels were thru the roof maybe a month into it. Would run stairs at work. Energy level have stabilized now.

I have always eaten a ton of food now itís just a ton of Primal food, i.e., grilled meats, lots of animal fats and olive oil, lots of greens, red peppers, tomatoes, cherries and berries(almonds for snacks during the day but I quit that maybe 2 months ago). Breakfast is usually 2-3 eggs and 1-2 strips of bacon. Lunch is the left over grilled meat and everything I just listed.

Previously my food was grilled meats, greens, rice, pasta, and Pho (Vietnamese noodles). The Pho was at least 4 times a week. Three months into the Primal phase I had an occasional bowl of Pho with no ill effects. Now I do the Pho almost every Friday.

We have been in the 100 degree temps for weeks so my activity level is next to nothing after work. Before it got too hot, my activity was a good dog walk almost every day. Iím lazy, but the weight came off and it has stayed off rather effortlessly. Iím trying to convince myself to start doing body weight exercises.

The thing that has changed is I am always hungry, except after dinner, Iím hungry every two hours. It started maybe two months ago. I donít recall feeling that way the first 6-7 months of being Primal. I did a 16 hr fast last Tuesday and Wednesday. Was hungry in the morning, but didnít have my usual breakfast and made it to lunch at 11am and had my normal lunch.

Any idea why I get hungry every two hours?

Thanks in advance,

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    More meat or fish/seafood @ breakfast, more fat. Bacon isn't enough imo. Even if you eat a large portion of bacon, it's too processed & a lot of bacon is cured in sugar so imo it's not a dependable every day kind of big portion protein. I love bacon, but it's a treat for me...

A big(ger) calorie/fat/protein rich breakfast, helps w/ cravings immensely in my experience. I'm a big eater too, everyone in my family has big appetites, both sides, haha.... Snacking on meat helps too! But I often snack on raw veggies & lately pork rinds :-)
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Can't tell from your post or statistics if you are male or female. From height, it is likely male, but you never can tell, so, if you are female, could you be pregnant? Always the first thing to check for unexplained tiredness or hunger.

Otherwise: more fat! (If you are pregnant, more fat, too!)

Also, 2-3 eggs, ditto strips of bacon does not seem like a HEARTY breakfast, just a basic one. Try upping you calories.

Conversely, try skipping breakfast. The human body is a strange and wondrous thing, and sometimes feeding when we are not really hungry, sets us up for false hunger later in the day.

Whatever you try, I would do it consistently for at least a week before you judge if it is working, preferably, two.
    Last edited by Sabine; 07-25-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: left out some words-oops

cookiemonster is offline Member
    If you start reflecting on what you eat, I think you will get the answer.
    When you started primal/plaeo what meals gave you the most satiety? And then tried to replicate more of that during your day?
    Now that you are hungry every two hours -write down or remember what are you having in your last meal and make sure you cover everything from drinks to food. For me being primal has been a godsend but sugar and excess carbs can still trigger my hunger like some kind of dare I say . . . cookie monster.
    I would bet if you honestly start reflecting and examining those two factors of satiety and trigger mechanisms you will find out yourself what is triggering your hunger or find out that by reintroducing some more "filling" foods you will cease some of the hunger.
    In addition, has there been a change in your life, extra stress, did you move across from a candy shop , are you around people eating sugar crack and carbs? Physiological can be just as much as a cause as the biological -I know duh! But I really think you have the answer in this case if you examine truly all of the above factors.
    Peace

I'll check with the wife, but being pregnant at my age(45)would cause some serious alarm.

I'll look into upping my calories and fat. Any idea if the rice noodles every friday is causing the hunger?

The pork rinds sound yummy.

Thanks,

Doug

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like to me you are just thirsty. A lot of times, people confuse their hunger mechanism for thirst. Since traditionally a lot of our fluid consumption came from food and not directly drinking water, your body can make you feel very hungry when you're actually very thirsty. Drink more water and salt your food - if the hunger is due to the heat wave, simply adding more fluid and electrolytes could fix it. Also, consider shifting some calories away from fats and to carbs, particularly fruits. That'll make you retain more water, which could be what your body needs.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It sounds like to me you are just thirsty. A lot of times, people confuse their hunger mechanism for thirst. Since traditionally a lot of our fluid consumption came from food and not directly drinking water, your body can make you feel very hungry when you're actually very thirsty. Drink more water and salt your food - if the hunger is due to the heat wave, simply adding more fluid and electrolytes could fix it. Also, consider shifting some calories away from fats and to carbs, particularly fruits. That'll make you retain more water, which could be what your body needs.
    True. I find often the body mistakes hunger for actual thirst. When I wrestled in HS, I often did get hungry but since I was dieting to 'make weight', mostly I just guzzled cold water til I was full & that worked... Chaco's suggestions, as well as the previous post abt emotional states all sound like "right" tips... I do tend to reach for food in an emotional state, either that, or I lose my appetite if it's worry... Lemon water w/ some seasalt, natural sports drink, with or without some fruit.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Thanks Choco, but I drink tons of water every day. I actually cannot understand how people here at work can go without water. I'm always making several trips to the water cooler filling up my jug..

cookiemonster is offline Member
    Sounds like too much water
    Peace

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbones67 View Post
    Thanks Choco, but I drink tons of water every day. I actually cannot understand how people here at work can go without water. I'm always making several trips to the water cooler filling up my jug..
    Are you drinking just plain water? If it is 100 degrees out and you're drinking plain water, that's going to make things even worse because you are literally expediting the flushing of electrolytes from your system without replacing them. Essentially, drinking plain water while sweating profusely will further dehydrate you. You need to drink electrolyte water. Coconut water, or lemon water mixed with real salt (like Himalayan sea salt) as suggested by Betorq is what you should do.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast