Thread: Breastfeeding and calories page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

For breastfeeding mothers I'm curious about your calorie and fat ratio intakes.

I'm in the process of figuring out my optimal caloric intake by listening to my body and including IFs and working out, and the rest of it. I've been keeping track on FitDay recently so as to understand the relationship of how I'm feeling to calorie intake and levels of fat. I'm trying to loose 10 pounds.

I know everyone is different, but I guess I'm just curious. My fat intake is lately over 70%, my carbs around 7%, and my protein around 24%. I am 5'6.5 and calories vary between 2000-2500. I weigh around 139, and my scale says I have around 25% body fat.

I'm open to advice, but mostly curious about others.

Also, I should add that I'm very happy to have recently added the 10% more fat intake than I had before. This change was a direct result of removing fruit from my diet! Yay fat!

anniegebel Guest

I didn't count calories when I breastfed, but I am wondering if my low-fat diet was what kept my kids from growing more quickly....hhmmmm. I'd never thought about that before, but I hadn't heard of PB yet and none of my 3 kids went over their birthweights in the time the doctors wanted them too. I seemed to have a good amount of foremilk and not as much hindmilk. I wonder if a fattier diet would have resulted in more hindmilk...which babes need to gain weight! they all got long and skinny and nursed for very long periods of time to get to that good milk. Very interesting.

But anyway...enough about me! I'd say don't worry about it the calories. You're eating the right things, follow your hunger signs and the baby's rhythms. If he or she is nearing a normal period of growth, up the intake a little to compensate. If babe is nursing less frequently, eat less.

good luck...and congratulations!

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Thanks anniegebel! I should have mentioned that I'm breastfeeding a 2-year-3 month-old! I'm hoping to reduce the breastfeeding soon, in cooperation with my son, but I want to make sure he's on a very good diet first. In his infanthood, my son consumed a lot of milk, and he was VERY fat (in a good way!). Now he is almost too skinny and a picky eater.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

On average, it takes 500 extra calories over that required to maintain mother's weight per day to feed an exlclusively nursing infant.

Sooze

FairyRae2 Guest

I think I range ratio-wise around 60-65% fat, 20% protein, 20% carbs, give or take in the protein and carbs on a higher fat day. My calories can range from 1500-2200--possibly more of a range--I don't really keep track--so not much help here! I'd say on average maybe I take in 1800 calories? Again I'm not sure. I'm nursing a 3 yo who nurses a LOT still, just fyi.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful--I totally don't keep track very well!

anniegebel Guest

Beauty...my youngest is about the same age (Dec 26, 2007)! How fun He stopped nursing around 18 month, though. He's quite the picky eater too. But I have found with all my kids that when they're getting ready for a growth spurt they become much less finicky about food. So I try to keep in mind that they don't know how to over eat yet, they're responding to their body's cues. When they don't need the extra energy they pass on a lot more foods. When they need something more they'll eat every piece of meat and veggie I offer!

kam904s is offline Member

My kiddo will be 11 weeks tomorrow but I'm not actually actively tracking right now due to our moving back to the midwest. Still, he doesn't seem to be fairing too badly on my milk as is.