Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Primal while endurance training.....bad idea? page

Andynick is offline Junior Member

Going Primal while endurance training.....bad idea?

Primal Fuel
    I am new to this whole Primal way of living. I love the concepts and simplicity. I am training to run a marathon in the fall. I have run two marathons before and a couple half-marathons. I have of course been eating lots of carbs and haven't lost any weight really with all the training I do. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I'm not overweight, but I definitely have some fat to burn! I want to become a "fat-burning machine", but I am finding it difficult while training. I do two workout runs a week, and one long run. I also do a couple really easy runs and cycle once a week. I fit in some yoga and weights in there when I can. I have been trying to eat more carbs on the heavy workout days (bananas, sweet potatoes), and after a long run. I am finding some of my workouts to be lagging due to the lower carb intake, but I will just keep going and see what happens. Will I still be albe to become a fat-burner??? Any information is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Anonymous Guest
    now i remember why i stopped coming here.
    Last edited by timconradinc; 07-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I guess that last statement saves your post... because this whole fat burner carb burner discussion is total nonsense.

Here's the thing: Carbs and Primal are not mutually exclusive. You can eat high carbohydrate paleo approved foods such potatoes. If you are training above the aerobic threshold regularly, then carbohydrates are by far a better fuel choice than fat. You will have more energy during your workouts, and you will recover more quickly. You will need glycogen if you're above the aerobic threshold. That is an indisputable scientific fact. Carbohydrates replenish glycogen, which gets very depleted when doing things like a marathon.

As far as losing weight loss goes. The whole "fat burning machine" thing makes me cringe. The only true function of weight loss is calorie intake. If you want to lose weight then eat less food, and perhaps start counting calories using fitday.com or cronometer.com to ensure that you are eating less than you burn on a daily basis. Be very careful not to cut back too much if you're doing marathon training.

Don't feel like you need to get lumped into the "low carb" or "low fat" camp...Primal is honestly nothing more than a collection of approved foods and general exercise guidelines. You need to think about how to tailor the diet to best to suite your personal needs and goals.
    Last edited by primal pete; 07-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Andynick is offline Junior Member
    Primal Pete, do you live the Primal lifestyle? Because from your response you don't really seem like an advocate for it....

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I live with a marathoner who trains while eating primal. Eat primal carbs (and possibly some "safe starches" such as white rice) and you should be fine. You can also look into the idea of "train low, run high" for some possible benefits of doing *some* training in a lower-carb state.

Mark also has some good posts on endurance training and primal--do a search on the main blog and check them out.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Mr. O is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    I guess that last statement saves your post... because this whole fat burner carb burner discussion is total nonsense.

Here's the thing: Carbs and Primal are not mutually exclusive. You can eat high carbohydrate paleo approved foods such potatoes. If you are training above the aerobic threshold regularly, then carbohydrates are by far a better fuel choice than fat. You will have more energy during your workouts, and you will recover more quickly. You will need glycogen if you're above the aerobic threshold. That is an indisputable scientific fact. Carbohydrates replenish glycogen, which gets very depleted when doing things like a marathon.

As far as losing weight loss goes. The whole "fat burning machine" thing makes me cringe. The only true function of weight loss is calorie intake. If you want to lose weight then eat less food, and perhaps start counting calories using fitday.com or cronometer.com to ensure that you are eating less than you burn on a daily basis. Be very careful not to cut back too much if you're doing marathon training.

Don't feel like you need to get lumped into the "low carb" or "low fat" camp...Primal is honestly nothing more than a collection of approved foods and general exercise guidelines. You need to think about how to tailor the diet to best to suite your personal needs and goals.
    Stay in the aerobic zone and you don't have to replenish glycogen. That's the point. Many of us are athletes and come from a background of GU/sugar during long workouts. You don't have to be primal to eat low carb and learn to use your body fat for fuel, but many of us have chosen to do so and there is mounting proof that it can be done.

Bare is offline Junior Member
    Oh myy.. Please read this instead of reflecting on "primal" pete's post . How to Train for a Marathon | Mark's Daily Apple.

RoyHerb is offline Junior Member
    How long have you been eating Primal? I had trouble with my energy during runs for about two weeks and then it got better... I run 2 or more marathons a year. I will say, though, that my running coaches had me tailoring my workouts to help me become fat adapted far before I discovered Primal, so I think I was already part of the way there. If you'd like more information on how my running schedule is built around being fat adapted, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. E-mail me at girlloves2run@gmail.com

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Calories in and our are not the only true function of weight loss. Another function of weight loss is to stop your insulin spikes by cutting out grains.

You dont have to eat less food if you eat the right food.

Fat burning is a real thing. You can not burn fat and carbs (unless your carb intake is low enough). If you eat a lot of carbs you body will burn them as fuel and request more. leaving your fat to sit on your body.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. O View Post
    Stay in the aerobic zone and you don't have to replenish glycogen. That's the point. Many of us are athletes and come from a background of GU/sugar during long workouts. You don't have to be primal to eat low carb and learn to use your body fat for fuel, but many of us have chosen to do so and there is mounting proof that it can be done.
    Check out Phil Maffetone's "the Big Book of Endurance" (some content available on his website). It is all about aerobic base and close to primal diet and philosophy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast