Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong? page

ryeclift is offline Junior Member

What am I doing wrong?

Primal Fuel
    I have been trying to follow the primal blueprint for several weeks now; however, I have not seen any results. I am trying to lose about 20 pounds. I am a 28 year old male. Below is a list of my average diet. ALL of the food I eat is organic. In total I consume about 15-20 grams of carbs per day.

BREAKFAST:
    "Good Belly - Straight Shot" Pro-biotic drink (No added sugar) - I think this may be part of the problem...
    Columbian coffee with a little bit of half & half, and two or three "Stevia In The Raw" sweetener packets. - I think this sweetener may be hurting my insulin levels too...
    Four fried eggs, four strips of fried bacon, 2 ounces of cheddar cheese.

LUNCH:
    Handful of leafy green salad (Romain & Spinach) with olive oil & red wine vinegar
    A protien such as grilled chicken breast or chicken breast fried in olive oil. I season it with salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder/basil

SNACK:
    A handful of macadamia nuts, and/or hard boiled eggs with a little mayonnaise on top. (Maybe the mayonnaise is part of the problem?)

DINNER:
    A protien, usually steak, pork chop, chicken breast, or ground beef patties (patties that I make by hand) cooked in butter and seasoned with salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder/basil.
    Broccoli, Asparagus, or mushrooms cooked in butter and seasoned with salt/pepper/garlic.

As I said above, I have a feeling the "dextrose" in the stevia sweetener is hurting me. I found another stevia brand that does not have dextrose in it, but is it worth even eating? Additionally, are the good belly probiotics to blame in my lack of weight loss? It doesnt have any added sugger, but does have grape juice in it. In total it only has 6 grams of carbs. Lastly, maybe the mayonnaise I eat is somehow hurting me?

Does anyone have any advice? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the tiny amount of dextrose in the artificial sweetener is not the thing keeping you from losing twenty pounds. first of all, the last twenty lbs will come off the slowest - know that. but it's going to be about the amount of calories. even if you think calories mean nothing, and only carbs matter (oy vey), the dextrose is still providing an absolutely trivial amount of carbs.

track your calories. the primal blueprint, mark's book, makes no bones about it - you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    How about keeping it strict and basic to start with? Cut the sweetener, cut the probiotic, cut the nuts, and see if that makes a difference.

jesssa is offline Member
    what are you doing for exercise?
    do you have 20lbs to lose, or do you just want to lose 20lbs? [yes, there is a difference!]
    also,I wouldn't be frying anything in olive oil, keep that for drizzling on top of food after it is already cooked.
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing any exercising?

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Dude, I know there are some people that are extremely carb sensitive, but eating 20 grams of carbs is just not healthy or sustainable in the long run because you are pretty much going to be depriving yourself of nutrients that are found in a huge amount of veggies. What does a handful of green leafy salad mean? It is okay to eat greens by the truck load you know.

You also know calories count right? We are all for eating until we are full here, but you still have to watch the amount of calories you are getting from all the fat you are cooking your meats in. I definitely do not think the mayo or probiotics is to blame. If you are extremely sensitive to any form of sugar, I would say you try not including any stevia in your coffee as some people have reported that it spikes their insulin.

I will definitely reccommend you up your vegetables especially the green leafy ones, watch how much protein you are having as well and definitely have some fat but do not overdo it. Calories DO count.

Devain is offline Member
    Hard to say without some additional info, since calories in/calories out, although not the only factor, still matter.

Goodbelly straight shot? http://www.goodbelly.com/images/nut-...t_NutFacts.jpg
    Water, Grape Juice, Oat Flower, Rice Starch, Natrual Flavors, Barley Malt, Calcium Citrate, Good Bacteria, Stevia.

Most of those are things I personally would choose to avoid.

Stevia - Opinions seem to vary, I personally have been trying to kick the habit, but that teaspoon in my morning bulletproof coffee seemed so harmless.

Half and Half, Cheddar Cheese - Again, opinions and people vary. Some have reported dairy slowing their results.

Carbs: Based on your food choices, and the goodbelly accounting for 6g already, If you are only taking in 15-20g of carbs a day you arent eating enough veggies.

Mayo - Most if not all commercially available mayo is made with oils that are not recommended for human consumption, so you may want to make your own or ditch it entirely.

Also do not let weight be your sole indicator of results, how do you feel? How do your clothes fit? How are you sleeping and waking up? These and other things are good indicators of how things are going. I stopped losing weight after about 3 months, but have been losing fat and gaining muscle, so sometimes the scale lies.

If you think that something may be affecting your results, I'd say ditch it for a month, and see how it goes.
    Im not in this world to live up to your expectations and youre not in this world to live up to mine. ―Bruce Lee

2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
    2013: 1/27 190~20%

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    the tiny amount of dextrose in the artificial sweetener is not the thing keeping you from losing twenty pounds. first of all, the last twenty lbs will come off the slowest - know that. but it's going to be about the amount of calories. even if you think calories mean nothing, and only carbs matter (oy vey), the dextrose is still providing an absolutely trivial amount of carbs.

track your calories. the primal blueprint, mark's book, makes no bones about it - you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    Pretty much just said this

I have not been tracking calories at all...
    Yes, I do have 20 pounds to loose. My ideal weight has always been and still is 150 pounds. Currently I fluxuate from 168 to 170 pounds. The fat I want to lose is very visible and not just in my head...
    My exercise level is minimul, and I should be doing more of it, thanks for the tip.
    I guess for now im going to change to the pro biotic (PB8) in the capsil form, cut the mayo, cut the stevia, and add more exercise...

PrimalCon New York
    I will also make a stronger effort to eat more salads, and can immediately think of areas to cut back on some of the fats (IE: three strips of bacon instead of four, three eggs instead of four...)

Thanks for the tips everyone. If anyone has more advice im all ears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast