Thread: Primal Journal - Addicted to Convenience page

Jeffab1969 is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - Addicted to Convenience

Primal Fuel
    Hello my name is Jeff and I am an Industrialized food junkie. I doubt I am as much addicted to the food as I am the convenience. Not to mention the chain grocery stores have perfected the art of making me buy food I don't need.

I am 43 and in pretty good health. I excercise on regular basis mostly doing martial arts with some running thrown in. I need to add some resistance training in to help round out my regimen.

I live with my wife, daughter and mother in-law. My wife has lost over fifty pounds on wieght watchers so i am very proud of her. My mom in-law is a junk food addict and considers icecream a meal. So making my pantry primal will be impossible.

Day 3 meals 7-24-12

4 egg omelette with garden tomatoes, mushrooms, feta, and cooked in coconut oil ( my new favorite though I will use butter on occasion as well )

banana, peach, about 1 oz dry roasted cahsews ( non organic with non primal oils added, I will work on this )

Chipotle salad with chicken, fajita veg, tomato salsa, cheese, guac, and dressing ( 1 tablespoon ). I had some chips also... Damn it I'm weak

Bolognese sauce over broccoli ( better than i thought ) , asparagus spears, and a cheese filled breadstick...another moment of weakness.

2 beers lager style

Overall I had good energy all day. I had a little stomach discomfort, which i attribute to the Chipotle salad. Probably the guac as I don't usually get it on my chipotle meals. I know there is alot fat from the avocado that my gut is not used to processing. It was delicious and hopefully i'll be able to adapt to it.

My activity time was spent working on a damaged gutter and shingles on my house. Climbing up and down a ladder and staying focused on not falling off roof is pretty good excercise.

Any and all comments or criticisms are greatly appreciated. Well maybe not the criticism so much but I may need some tough love from time to time.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffab1969; 07-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Day 4 went well. I was getting pretty hungry by 5:00 and we didn't get dinner ready until 6:45.

My activity was a family walk after dinner.

breakfast: 4 egg omelette garden tomato and feta cheese, banana, coffee w/sugar

snack: almonds and cashews

lunch: Panera Greek Salad with grilled chicken and apple

more almonds and cashews in the afternoon - a Charms Blow pop in a moment of weakness

dinner: Tri Tip ( Costco ) Squash and Zuchinni ( garden ) w/yellow peppers, red onion, olive oil, lime juice

Trader Joe Strawberry Yogurt w/cream full fat

over all I am pleased with my effort today. Not a full on Primal day but very little junk.

bellajgw is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jeff!

Charms Blow-Pop? YUM! Okay, sorry, sugar-addict just butted in. Probably not the best choice, but..well, you know. It happens.

I'm certainly not an expert, just a fellow paleo-newbie trying to make it stick, but I would say things look pretty darn good. Maybe not the sugar, but all you can do is try to be a little better every day, right?

In regards to your cupboards, I totally feel you. My wife only recently went paleo with me and, in truth, she's doing her own modified primal/Atkins thing....I just can't get her away from Atkin's way of thinking. Up until recently I was the only one in my family (extended) that was cutting carbs and processed foods out, but now that my mother has been diagnosed with diabetes she has joined me as well as one of my sisters.

I found this great resource the other day that I think may be helpful to you. It's a blog post from a woman who eats primally and her challenge of getting her family on board/dealing with family who don't eat the same way as you. You might enjoy it:

27 Ways To Live With Your Non-Paleo Spouse

Good luck!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello bellajgw, thanks for the reply. I will definitely check out the "27 ways" blog. I'm pretty fortunate with my spouse, though she's very supportive. She cooked dinner for the family last and it was as Primal as our Cupboards will allow. Chicken legs and thighs baked in a tomato sauce, with roasted squash, peppers, red onion, carrots and celery. We did have an icecream treat after. But it was full fat dairy. ; ) I took a quick peek at your thread and you have a great many more challenges than I. But you can definitely do this. I don't really think it's weakness that causes us to fail it's the inabillty to change our mindset after years of conditioning. We're on are on the right track using the forums and the support it brings.

I'm doing this for general health and wellness since I don't have weight management issues. So I am being easier on myself with the sugar. I have completely cut out soda pop but I will still put a teaspoon or 2 of turbinado sugar in my coffee. My cupboard is a work in progress and we will look to include more organic produce and less processed food in the future.

7-26-12

Breakfast: 4 egg omelette with onions, green peppers, yellow peppers, and feta cheese.

snack: cashews

lunch: leftover Tri tip and veggie medley

snack: cashews again and blueberry and strawberry's - a post workout snack.

Dinner:Chicken legs and thighs baked in a tomato sauce with roasted squash, peppers, red onion, carrots and celery. We did have an icecream treat after.

I think the most Primal thing I did today was take a late lunch to do a Muay Thai class. I have been feeling stuck and burnt out at work for years. So taking a break like this was very liberating. Not to mention a break where I can punch and kick, bags and people ( in a safe manner of course ) after dealing with customer deadlines relieves a lot of stress. It had to be over 100 in the gym and I went back to work a sweaty mess. But it was so worth it and I will be a regular on thursdays at Ronin from now on. It also feels good because I have a 3 year old and taking time away from her after work to exercise is difficult.

thanks again for the reply