Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal page

fromthericefields is offline Junior Member

New to Primal

Shop Now
    Hi all, I'm so new to this kind of way of living, it sounds much more appealing to my former misguided way of eating myself with nuts and yogurt in the morning. I also always thought chickpea was good for you.... So I recruit all the time in or as a side with my salad. Then are pasta or potatoes for supper with veggies.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to start slow, will have an omelette for breakfast for a change.
    A few questions to ask though: I have left overs from my previous diet. such as lots of chickpeas in the refrigerator. I am not one to waste food. I also have yogurts near expiry that needs to be cleaned up, is yogurts ok on primal?
    What about shredded cheese? Cottage Cheese? I live with my family, Mon is entirely in charge of Supper, which is always pasta or potatoes with some chicken or veggies. Example tomorrow is scalloped potato with meatloaf (contain oats)

What do I do, refusing to eat supper or trying to change it will result in a conflict for sure, it is not my place to do so.
    But I do have near full control over what I eat at breakfast and lunch. Will eating primal 2 meals a day and eating what is provided for supper detail the whole effort? Thanks

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Yogurt and cottage cheese is primal so if you have no problems with dairy they are fine. I usually eat it most days. Just try to look for the stuff without all the additives and preservatives. White potatoes are fine as well but the sweet potatoes are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Yogurt and cottage cheese is primal so if you have no problems with dairy they are fine. I usually eat it most days. Just try to look for the stuff without all the additives and preservatives. White potatoes are fine as well but the sweet potatoes are even better.
    Ok, now question concerning sausage and bacon. I was always taught that they were processed and bad for you. But many recipes here use them... What about cold meats such as pepperetes? Are they processed?

I make homemade icecream using almond milk fruit Chia seeds salt and vanilla extract (put in freezer then chop) is this primal? Is honey considered primal as it could be found in the wild...

Is making exemptions for 1 meal ok? Such as supper if there is no alternative? Or would I be ok if I choose less pasta but compliment with extra cottage cheese, nuts or chicken to replace? Or is the whole point avoiding it completely?

What about fruits and vegetables? Don't they contain lots of sugars and carbs? Especially dates, high in sugar, carbs and of course calories, most people I hear say don't eat them due to content.

Some people say potatoes aren't good for you due to carbs but you say they're ok.

Why is peanut butter bad? Isn't it nearly the same to almond butter just made with peanuts?

cookiemonster is offline Member
    Just asking to get some background but
    What are your goals for turning primal?
    Hopefully to get healthier I imagine first
    Do you need to lose some weight or gain some weight-some toning?
    Did your old diet make you "feel sick" or unhealthy-lethargic or something akin to that?
    Do you have some chronic ailments by any chance?
    Peace

jesssa is offline Member
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Yes the old diet started to have negative effects on me, causing bouts of overeating, depression, etc yes I want to get healthier such as do pushups and I currently do walking 3 times a day and working on pushups (I don't have strength so can only do knee pushups for now but plan to so full once I attain that fitness level.

I don't need to lose weight, I don't really need to gain either but need somehow develop useful muscle strength not like body builder but strength to like lift wood chop etc effortlessly.

cookiemonster is offline Member
    This is the link and you must take "the plunge" or go "whole hog" in doing primal while make a few adjustments yourself as you discover things about what foods you can handle and what works best within your budget and lifestyle.
    Sorry for the copyright infringement but you just have to "Just do it!" and this forum is a good guideline to stay inspired, get some questions answered, and let others know of your progress, non-progress, or regressions.
    But nothing better than going primal to get healthy first!
    Peace

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book or any of the starting links that Mark has posted? If not you really, really, really should.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

gdmaynes is offline Junior Member
    I've been primal for 16 days now, and I'm not sure I'll ever look back. For the most part I don't feel deprived of anything, but I think its very important to find ways to satisfy your old "pre-primal" urges.

If you're interested, I have started a blog which I update frequently with different recipes I've tried and my experiences along the way, so check it out:

Paleo Island

Good luck to you, and take comfort in knowing we've all gone through what you're experiencing, and we're happy to help!

Thanks for all the advice, I am sort of on a budget and quite limited on what I can buy. That is why I have not bought the books but have read the free versions.

Big question: are sausages really healthy?? I never really are them before and from the looks of it most people say they're loaded with chemicals and nitrates plus full of fake meat etc etc. is there a healthier way? I don't have things to make them homemade... Any clarification or tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast