Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Primal page 2

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fromthericefields View Post
    Ok, now question concerning sausage and bacon. I was always taught that they were processed and bad for you. But many recipes here use them... What about cold meats such as pepperetes? Are they processed?

I make homemade icecream using almond milk fruit Chia seeds salt and vanilla extract (put in freezer then chop) is this primal? Is honey considered primal as it could be found in the wild...

Is making exemptions for 1 meal ok? Such as supper if there is no alternative? Or would I be ok if I choose less pasta but compliment with extra cottage cheese, nuts or chicken to replace? Or is the whole point avoiding it completely?

What about fruits and vegetables? Don't they contain lots of sugars and carbs? Especially dates, high in sugar, carbs and of course calories, most people I hear say don't eat them due to content.

Some people say potatoes aren't good for you due to carbs but you say they're ok.

Why is peanut butter bad? Isn't it nearly the same to almond butter just made with peanuts?
    Sausages are generally pretty bad. You don't know what's in them. Bacon can kind of be the same unless you get free range nitrate free bacon which isn't really worth it, imo. Honey is fine just try to get the live stuff. Chai seeds are ok. As far as carbs and sugars in fruits and potatoes they're perfectly fine. You don't have to worry about that stuff, this isn't a low-carb diet per se, just a whole foods diet so carbs from potatoes and fruit are good. Dates are fine but can be a little calorie dense and easy to over eat if you're trying to lose weight.
    Peanuts aren't technically a nut. Almonds are a lot better.
    Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

fromthericefields is offline Junior Member
    Ok, thanks for the clarifications on sausage and bacon. I wonder why Mark seems to eat, and advise people to eat those things. Is it important to eat a lot of meat as suggested? I do not have meat readily available, but in our home is full of dairy products ranging from milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, and shredded cheese. Are those ok? It appears most people here do not eat dairy. Could I substitute the meat for dairy when it is not available?

My first attempt at a primal breakfast was 3 large eggs, 1 cup each of the following; onion, green bell pepper, and celery. 1Tbsp Chia seeds 150g of cottage cheese on the side, and I well seasoned the eggs with pink salt.

A good start?

Lunch was not so primal, I had a big salad but needed to clean up the hummus I had so I are the rest of the rements of it as well. I hear some primal still eat chickpeas? I like chickpeas they be ok in moderation?

But thanks again about the sausage info, wasn't too keen on eating them again. Perhaps leftover ground beef or chicken would work just fine when Mom does buy meat, which is rare, once a week.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I don't think he does recommends eating sausages. Unless they're really good quality gourmet ones or home made. Bacon is a moderation thing and he advises hormone free organic etc. Chickpeas are ok in moderation and there's no high meat consumption necessary if you're not into it. There's plenty of other primal foods. Dairy foods recommended are generally non-homogenized (most dairy in Australia is grass-fed, even better if you can get sheep or goats dairy products they are almost guaranteed to be pasture raised). There's some good goat and sheep's milk products at local markets in Australia and even Coles stock a decent organic yogurt most of the year. If there's any other foods you're wondering about marks probably done a blog post covering it on the main page.
    Basically the basis of my diet is fruit, sweet potatoes, green vegetables, eggs, yogurt and kangaroo meat and dry coleslaw salads. I'm a pretty simple eater most of the time.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirlot View Post
    have you read the book or any of the starting links that mark has posted? If not you really, really, really should.
    +1 please start there. Otherwise, you just get a bunch of personal interpretation of Primal.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    There's no such thing as sausage! All sorts of food and non-food combinations stuffed into casings can be called sausage. That's why you read the ingredients. Ask yourself if you'd eat the ingredients.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

fromthericefields is offline Junior Member
    Whew I thought I would have to start eating lots of near which of course is not a big thing in my family, except canned tuna, sardines and the occasional chicken or ground beef. I'm not in Australia right now but am travelling with family for business purposes and staying short term at a house. The big problem with ingredients is everything is labelled in foreign languages.... lol...

Ok I feel a little better, the basis is to avoid all processed foods (does canned fish count as processed?) No wheat, grains, etc, although I see some argue that rice and quinoa are ok as well. Using the Asians for examples.

The basis is: eat what you could obtain yourself if living in the wild, such as nuts, meat, and although dairy came with the domesticated animals dairy I won't be cutting out of my diet. Veggies and fruit are important as well. That's the basis of it all right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12