Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consistent Pain in Chest and Back page

mikezentz is offline Member

Consistent Pain in Chest and Back

Shop Now
    Greetings,

I've been Primal for few months now and about 2 weeks ago I ran into a roadblock. I've got moderate consistent pain in my upper right chest area close to my shoulder and in my back. Initial research seems to indicate it could be a problem with my gallbladder or it could be a dislocated or fractured rib. I have no reason to suspect it is a damaged rib but I suppose it could be out of place. I am 24, non smoker, great physical shape.

The reason I suspect it might be gallstones is because I found several other testimonials of other people with my exact symptoms who went to the doctor and found out thats what it was. I studied upon on CW causes of gallstones and the consensus seems to be high dietary cholesteral. I do consume scrambled eggs and store bought bacon daily and so this seemed like a possibility.

If anyone is aware of any other possible explanations I'd love to hear them. I'd also like to hear of ways I can help my body get rid of gallstones. I have neither the inclination or the money to get my gallbladder removed and I'd prefer to avoid doctors altogether. I will go see a chiropracter about the dislocated rib possibility if the condition remains the same or worsens over the next month.

Thanks so much,
    Mike Zentz

emmie is online now Senior Member
    See a doctor! Pain in the body is a signal that something is wrong.

When I had severe pain in that area several years ago, it was diagnosed as my gall bladder--but there were no stones. My GI thought it might be just a 'temporary' inflammation, and I had to eat low fat (fat brought on attacks) for a while; pains eventually subsided and I could eat normally again. I still have my gall bladder.

However, if the diagnosis indicates it should be removed, you should have it done. It's a relatively benign procedure, whereas complications with the gall bladder can be life threatening. One of my sisters had to have hers removed when she was only 9 years old (the surgeon said she was only the second child he'd ever seen with severe gall bladder disease). She's now in her sixties and has had no problems living without a gall bladder most of her life.

The most common time for gallstones is 'fat and forty,' to it's likely that 1) you don't have gall bladder disease; 2) if you do, it's unusual and probably requires immediate attention.

You can't prevent or dissolve gall stones via diet. The only effect of diet is to help reduce the pain in gall bladder 'attacks' (as with my situation).

So there is no way for gall stones to pass naturally through your body? Seeing a doctor is not an option.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    There are some alleged home/holistic remedy for gall stones. Some of them involve eating lots of apples. I'm not endorsing any of them, because I don't know a thing about them, but I found several when I googled it for a friend who had a similar issue.

Thanks Rich. Time to start eating apples.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    There are some alleged home/holistic remedy for gall stones. Some of them involve eating lots of apples. I'm not endorsing any of them, because I don't know a thing about them, but I found several when I googled it for a friend who had a similar issue.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    You might have gallstones, but for all you know you could be developing pancreatitis, which has similar symptoms, can be caused by untreated gallstones, and is potentiallly life-threatening. 30-35% of patients who don't see a doctor until their acute pancreatitis is severe will die.

Sometimes the right answer to "I don't want to see a doctor" is in fact "go see a doctor."

Yeah I don't have any money. If its life-threatening I'm dead. In the meantime I'm going to try and do whatever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by fat View Post
    You might have gallstones, but for all you know you could be developing pancreatitis, which has similar symptoms, can be caused by untreated gallstones, and is potentiallly life-threatening. 30-35% of patients who don't see a doctor until their acute pancreatitis is severe will die.

Sometimes the right answer to "I don't want to see a doctor" is in fact "go see a doctor."

just one bump

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do a search on the forum for "gallbladder". There are some interesting threads that have gone on in the past - with some helpful suggestions.

I have a "sluggish" gallbladder. I had pain, nausea, vomiting on and off for a few years and finally had a HIDA scan and ultrasound. No stones, just poor function. Primal eating pretty much keeps me controlled. Everything I have read says fat is the problem, but for me it is processed seed oils that give me problems. Regular fat works great.

For acute issues, raw apple cider vinegar in some apple cider works great. Also, there are some cleanses on curezone that people swear by. I haven't tried them, but considered it at one point.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Keep in mind that trying to 'pass' gallstones can be life threatening because of the proximity of the pancreas.

I once passed out in a public place and wound up in the ER. I'd had an intense abdominal (sudden) pain just before I fainted. After several tests, pancreatitis was diagnosed and I was kept overnight.

The next morning, my numbers were better, and the hypothesis was that I'd passed a very TINY gallstone, and it had 'tipped' the pancreas, which set off the response I'd experienced. The doctors told me that they occasionally see this; the pancreas is apparently very sensitive, and any form of irritation can cause serious problems. However, no other gallstones showed on my scans, so they didn't remove my gall bladder at the time.

My GI has been suggesting that I have the gall bladder removed as a 'preventative' measure because this type of irritation of the pancreas, if repeated, could be very, very serious. I've resisted because I don't like elective surgery, and I consider my 'incident' to be a one-time occurance. However, I would never deliberately try to 'pass' stones because of the danger involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast