Thread: Macro- or Micro-manage this whole primal thing? page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Hi, I'm brand new here and just a few weeks into trying this stuff out. So far, so GREAT! I've just finished GCBC and Mark's book is on its way to the house. I've been having a lot of success (relative to every other nutrition / exercise approach ever) kind of taking the big picture stuff and not sweating the small stuff - for instance I had a couple of gin tonics last night and it turns out there is HFCS in tonic water (?). Or almonds, but roasted in sunflower oil. Mainly I've been pretty good, this morning I had a big omelette with leftover steak & asparagus, plus goat cheese and salsa. But I just ate a tangerine. That kind of stuff. I tracked a few days on fitday to get a sense of how many carbs etc. are actually in my food. I'm coming in around 60% fat, 25% protein 15% carbs (100-150grams), mostly from fresh fruit. I seem to be losing 2+ pounds per week, which I am VERY happy about, and I feel like a different person. I weigh 208 today, am 38yrs,6'1" and would like to get in the 180 range by, say, late summer, but overall health and fitness are just as important though harder to quantify. Oh, I know, I'd like to pass the Army PT test for a younger age category - that would impress my dad and maybe encourage him to try this whole thing out.

My question is, am I really going to see much more benefit by cutting those little things I love - I can't call them "cheats" - cheese, fresh fruit, nice wine in moderation, the occasional half-dessert, and so on? I mean, I could try but I don't really want to go farther than I've gone already and I'm skeptical that it will in the end be much better than where I'm at right now - which I think I could more or less do indefinitely.

Anyhow, Mark if you are reading, this is a fantastic resource and you have my sincere thanks for putting this together. It wasn't the first place I heard about primal but I keep coming back here for more.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on your body, your personality, and your goals. Some people thrive on the details and the numbers, whereas some people prefer the big picture.

Right now it sounds like the 80/20 concept is working for you. If you start to plateau before you reach your goal, then you might want to think about limiting the cheese and booze and such. Also, you might find that your tastes change and that 1/2 desert doesn't taste very good after a while. I am a firm believer in doing what works for you, and taking everything in moderation...including moderation.

For example, there is nothing wrong with a tangerine, good cheese, or nice wine. Just don't eat a bushel of tangerines, a wheel of cheese, and a case of wine in one sitting. But the occasional overindulgence isn't going to kill you.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

Cutting cheese made me lose weight a bit faster. I don't like wine, and I eat fresh fruit every day. I've been losing weight steadily since September 2009, and I'm not the slowest loser I know either.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

avocado is offline Senior Member

If you're feeling great, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You might feel even better if you made more changes, only one way to tell. But, at least for me, the need for change often comes to me first as an idea that needs to percolate for a while in my brain. If it's meant to be, after a while I'll feel motivated to change and it won't feel like a sacrifice anymore.

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member

Well! Now I want a a wheel of cheese, and a case of wine

I think it is fine to make changes slowly - as others have said, as you continue your primal journey, you may naturally tip the ratio in favour of primal foods... I have been making my transition from low carb Atkins to Primal slowly over 6 months... it has helped me stick to it, and understand more what my body needs / how it responds.

Sounds like you are doing a great job - you know what you can change of you want to up it a bit, so best of luck to you!

Lxxx

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks everybody for the thoughts. Yeah, it does seem to be working well. I think that working in some fasting and dialing in my exercise plan might just get me far enough. I've given up cheese, involuntarily, several times traveling through Asia and I never felt any better for it. I guess the question is, what kind of lifestyle makes me the happiest person I can be, rather than, do I need to eliminate legumes 100%.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/