Thread: Wanted: Grain Mill Recommendations page

hippie_mama is offline Member

It is really hard to find alternatives to wheat flour where i live, and buying online gets expensive, so it has come to my attention that i really need a grain mill; any advice?

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

What are you planning to grind? Nut flours can be ground pretty well in a blender or food processor. Perhaps so can coconut flour, though haven't tried it. I'm avoiding all grains, so can't guide you on those.

hippie_mama is offline Member

I would like to grind typical store-bought coconut flakes and raw almonds, or at least the almond meal to a finer consistency, because i can't stand to eat it as-is. From there i would probably be more willing to experiment with the proper equipment.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

When I used to make my own bread I looked at breadtopia.com a lot. They have a couple of models that they sell there, the link is:

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/kitchen-gadgets.html

I've never used a grain mill, but boy howdy they're expensive! $270 for the cheaper ones! Again I don't know how good those are, but I think the guy recommends the Nutrimill one. I think you're right that in order to get almond flour any finer you'd need a grain mill as opposed to just a food processor, my nut meals always come out pretty coarse. Good for crusts, not so much for any type of baked good.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I know when it comes to coconut, normal shredded stuff will turn into a paste before it makes flour because of the coconut oil. Almonds tend to do the same thing (make almond butter anyway), after a certain point the particles stop being able to hold the fat. I ended up just buying coconut flower from tropical traditions. $9 for a 2.2lb bag (if memory serves), but because of how coconut flower absorbs liquid, you use significantly less... so it kind of even's out?

Wish I had better advice to give :/

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I researched grain mills extensively at one point. My choice was the Champion Juicer with grain mill attachment. It grinds slowly without damaging or overheating the grain, and ditto with juicing. Only VERY expensive. Occasionally cheaper on Ebay. Very expensive here in Australia, and I never did manage to afford one. The second choice was the lovely Schnitzer grain mill, again very expensive. Lastly the more affordable electric Whispermill.

I haven't researched using non-wheat grains, but my impression is that you only need a very heavy duty mill for a hard grain like wheat. You'd probably get away with a good food processor or a small hand mill for softer grains.

Beware of cheap mills like the Corona and Back to Basics. I've seen some very bad reviews of these, they are flimsy, not very ergonomic, and take forever to grind a small amount of flour.

Catalina is offline Member
    I'm considering buying this one. It's very inexpensive ($9.95)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/nut-grinder

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    pretty cheap and nasty. I wouldn't.

edit to add: I mean, I understand you might be on a budget and a small one may well suffice, but a few reviews said theirs had broken - broken plastic, and broken blades. Though you might be luckier.

If you get it from a local shop, at least you can return it easily if it does break.
    Last edited by Helen in Oz; 04-20-2010 at 01:56 AM.

nuttykitchen is offline Senior Member
    Hi, we purchase ours here: http://honeyvillegrain.com/

They are priced fairly well and have the best blanched almond flour.
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A friend of mine uses a coffee grinder to turn her flax seed into meal. Haven't tried it myself but they are a reasonable price.