Thread: Max limit on carbs per meal? page

primama is offline Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and lifestyle (just finished reading the book which was great!). I didn't see any recommendations on a maximum load of carbs per meal in the book though, is there such a thing? For example, if my goal is to eat 100 g carbs per day, is it better to eat them 33 g + 33 g + 33 g or is it equally okay to eat them 70 g + 25 + 5 g? Thanks in advance for your help!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Remember that the ultimate goal is to keep your insulin low. Spikes are to be avoided, and they're caused by big loads of carbs consumed all at once.

That said, there is lots of room for flexibility. I generally eat about 20g carbs per meal, but I don't worry about the occasional 40-60g carb meal if I'm about to head out for a day of physical labor.

Also, the source of the carbs makes a difference. A can of Pepsi will result in a greater insulin spike than the same number of carbs consumed in the form of steamed veggies with butter, because the fat and fiber in the veggie choice slows the rate of absorption.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primama is offline Junior Member

Thanks BarbeyGirl! Sounds like as long as I keep my food sources primal, I don't have to worry so much about the load per meal.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

And keep an eye on how you feel. That can be an indication that you're eating too many carbs for your body, even though the numbers look good. What's low carb for one person may be too many for another. Experiment. Your body will change, and you may have to get re-acquainted.