Thread: He doesn't like fat? page

Sanas is offline Senior Member

He doesn't like fat?

Dr. Daniel Amen has a medical practice (psychiatry). He's not *that* kind of psychiatrist, though; he does brain scans to see what kind of functioning your brain actually has, and where there might be organic damage, and tends to prescribe decent eating and exercise along with prescription medication. I like that he does before and after scans, and has done thousands on all kinds of people. It makes me think he knows what he's talking about.

Here's a recent column: Develop a Leader's Mind | 2012-07-09 | SUCCESS Magazine | Your Personal Development Resource

Sounds all very PB, except he doesn't appear to like animal fat (except cold-water fish) very much. "It should include high-fiber carbohydrates and a nominal amount of fat from sources like olive oil, walnuts and fish. In addition, at each meal and snack you should strive to consume lean protein, such as meat, cheese, eggs, soy or nuts."

Has anyone here ever had one of his brain scans? Maybe he needs to be educated.

Paleobird Guest
    This Dr. Daniel Amen's Response to Criticism on Quackwatch

is an interesting back and forth between Dr Amen and Dr Harriet Hall.

cookiemonster is offline Member
    I love the rest of his message though, I was introduced to him via underground wellness podcast by one of our great Paleo leaders Sean Croxton.
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good (I know nothing like a cliche!)and Dr Amen has a lot of good messages especially his ANTs solution (getting rid of Automatic Negative Thoughts to treat depression)
    This world and society today is approximately 97% fat phobic-just take a poll from your family and friends when you tell them fat is good and see most of their reactions -Dr. Amen is cool and i dig his methods on the brain.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This Dr. Daniel Amen's Response to Criticism on Quackwatch

is an interesting back and forth between Dr Amen and Dr Harriet Hall.
    Is it just me, or does Dr. Hall have an overly rigorous standard for determining what is efficacious? I can just imagine what she'd have to say about eating a high-fat diet: No double blind, controlled studies, therefore, I'm not going to accept that it can do what is claimed.

I too am leery, though, about people out there in the world who want big dollars for their treatments. If it really helps people, make it affordable (if you can).

Thanks for linking to that, Paleobird.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    This world and society today is approximately 97% fat phobic-just take a poll from your family and friends when you tell them fat is good and see most of their reactions
    You're true there, Cookiemonster.