Thread: Anyone tried freezing cream? page

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

I can only find good organic cream in those silly little pint containers, and I have to go 2 towns away to get 'em. It says on the container not to freeze it. But has anyone done it? Did anything bad happen? Did the cream police show up at your door? Is it like the "do not remove under penalty of law" tags on mattresses and pillows, or is there a real reason for it? What's the scoop?

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I agree; the cream problem poses a dilemma for me as well. I've tried freezing it, and it works okay if you're going to simply use it as an ingredient in a recipe where the consistency of the cream won't be an issue. It separates and the texture changes completely.

There are some good links as the result of a "freezing cream" google search, such as these:

http://www.ochef.com/598.htm and http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/ti...Freezing-Cream.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

Sure I have...it's called ice-cream.

All kidding aside, why not give it a go? Maybe in ice cube trays and then pop the cubes in a freezer bag so you can use them when you need them? Try a small batch and see what happens.

Report back to us of course.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I've read the only way to freeze cream so that you can use it again successfully is to whip it first. I guess some people freeze cool whip, it's the same idea. I've never tried it personally, but I think it will separate if you freeze it, much like if you freeze a home made creamy soup. You can whip the cream without adding anything to it though, put it into containers, and then pull it out to use in your coffee or whatever later on?? Sounds reasonable at least.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member

Yes it's OK to freeze cream, but I seem to recall that it is better to lightly whip the cream first before freezing, otherwise the texture after defrosting is a bit weird

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member

@hannahc

oops crossed posts - great minds etc...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Unwhipped cream separates in the freezer. Also, cream (whipped or unwhipped) tends to absorb "freezer smells," which is obviously undesirable.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

OK The Great Frozen Cream Experiment has begun. I've stuck a small container in my freezer (unwhipped) to see what happens. Other than the occasional slug from the container (ooh, did I just admit that?) I mostly use it in coffee and in cooking. So even if it separates maybe it can still be used for some things. I'll report back.