Thread: coconut oil confusion page

caboose413 is offline Junior Member

coconut oil confusion

I recently got some organic coconut oil and its solid which is what I expected, but yesterday I went to trader joe's and I noticed they have finally gotten some "extra virgin" coconut oil but just when I'm about to grab it I noticed that its in a liquid for and completely clear and I walk away

Am I wrong in assuming that coconut oil is usually solid until it heats up or was trader joe's coconut oil good?

jesssa is offline Member
    what was the temp inside the store? or perhaps it had just arrived on the shelf off of a warmer truck? if I keep it in the cupboard in my kitchen, it is almost always liquid if the temperature is above 70/72
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    It depends. Was it a hot day? When the temperatures reached 30 Celsius up here, my coconut oil completely melted. It's hardened back up now, since it's about 10 today. Brr!

caboose413 is offline Junior Member
    No, it wasn't a warm day. It was the usual 65-70 F, I'll check next time I'm in the store again

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I have often feared that my coconut oil will eat the fork I keep on top of it. Like a cheap trick, one day I'll pull the lid off the bucket and find a fresh, flat surface - innocent and smooth, with no fork in sight. Somewhere a coconut god laughs on his throne, his feet propped high on a mountain of lost cutlery pulled through the coconut void.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose413 View Post
    I recently got some organic coconut oil and its solid which is what I expected, but yesterday I went to trader joe's and I noticed they have finally gotten some "extra virgin" coconut oil but just when I'm about to grab it I noticed that its in a liquid for and completely clear and I walk away

Am I wrong in assuming that coconut oil is usually solid until it heats up or was trader joe's coconut oil good?
    TJ's buys in bulk, negotiating low margin profits, coz they move a heap of product every day/week/month. To the envy of all their competitors. While not the highest quality, it's not crap either, far from it. For the money & convenience & freshness, it's fine. I recommend friends & clients to buy it there in quantities if TJ's is convenient & they don't want to buy a big bucket online or from a co-op. Coco oil, depending on how it's made, transported & stored, has a shelf life of 1-2 years.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, Knifegill. You made me smile.