Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Know Chronic Cardio Is Bad . . . . page

Primate is offline Junior Member

I Know Chronic Cardio Is Bad . . . .

. . . . but I really enjoy logging the miles on my bike. Did 47.6 miles today in just under 3.5 hours. Not great but there were some killer hills in there.

I am also in the middle of P90X so I am lifting heavy things also.

Question is, how should I eat before a long bike ride like todays? Carb load the night before, or just continue with Primal diet and get my fuel from that?

Thanks,

Mike

SeanC is offline Member
    Carb load and the primal diet should never be used in the same sentence...ever. But if you wish to pursue long endurance a primal option would be sweet potatoes before and medjool dates if you need a quick energy source during. But don't kid yourself, p90x and Distance cycling are not primal.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    Carb load and the primal diet should never be used in the same sentence...ever. But if you wish to pursue long endurance a primal option would be sweet potatoes before and medjool dates if you need a quick energy source during. But don't kid yourself, p90x and Distance cycling are not primal.
    I beg to differ. Endurance cycling can easily be done in a primal manner, part of the person's long slow distance work. As long at they stay completely aerobic the whole time its easy. Once adapted to more efficient fat burning its a very east thing to do. I will often go for 3-5 hours on water, trail mix, coconut bars and dried fruit. No hard intervals, just steady cycling keeping my HR low (Zone 1-2).

Carb loading is a leftover from the 80's, not a whole lot of evidence its all that useful. Simply eating a balanced meal with enough carbohydrates to top off your glycogen stores is enough. You can't over-stuff your muscles with glycogen, once the stores are full, no more is going to settle into the cells, it will begin to be converted to fat. I will throw in a sweet potato with my eggs and bacon in the morning before a long day in the saddle. The pile of Pasta the night before that is still so very popular is a joke.

Now, P90X is different, its highly anaerobic and the frequency they suggest it be done is not primal at all. I do a hard TRX session once or twice a week, but never more.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    So the best way to make long rides as primal as possible is to raise your muscular capacity doing heavy lifting and sprints so that your heart rate won't go berzerk when you ride up and down hills and such?

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    So the ultimate way to help to make extended voyages because primal as is possible is to boost ones buff potential undertaking hefty weightlifting in addition to sprints which means that your heartrate is not going to move berzerk once you trip around hills in addition to this sort of?
    ^^^LOL at the Spambot! I too undertake heavy weightlifting to "boost my buff potential".

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah...I enjoy jogging. I like to get a solid hour a day in. I listen to music while doing so. I feel great. I usually eat white rice and don't feel bad because of it (it feels very clean and I just add butter+meat+veggies). I eat this afterward but I jog most days anyway (and lift heavy things a few times a week).
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Yeah...I enjoy jogging. I like to get a solid hour a day in. I listen to music while doing so. I feel great. I usually eat white rice and don't feel bad because of it (it feels very clean and I just add butter+meat+veggies). I eat this afterward but I jog most days anyway (and lift heavy things a few times a week).
    Thats all fine and good but jogging an hour a day everyday is most definitely chronic cardio and you will almost certainly pay for it later in life. Doing any activity repeatedly and excessively will eventually result in overuse injuries i.e. joint damage. This in turn shortens life span. It certainly shortens ones quality of life. If you really enjoy jogging, why not do it a couple times a week and other days do something completely different?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I talked to an older man I know this week who use to run a lot (he did some 1/2 marathons). He told he has some heart problems now and the doctors told him he will need a pacemaker as some point. He said if he had to do it all over again he wouldn't do all that running.

Jeff Galloway, former Olympic marathoner, in his book talks about dong seminars on marathon training. In one of them this man asked if a person could run only once per week for a marathon and not hit the wall. Galloway didn't think it was possible. This guy then told Galloway that that was how he trained. He would put in a long run on Sunday (the only time he had) but would work up to the marathon's distance. By the time he got to the actual race he wouldn't hit the 20 mile wall. Point being, it isn't necessary to run multiple times per week. This guy was only running 4 times per month.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

otzi Guest
    I spent 21 years in the Air Force. Chronic Cardio ruled. It was drilled in our head to do 60 minutes of cardio every day--jogging, treadmill, aerobics classes, whatever.

After 21 years of this, I was nearly disabled. Bad joints, bad health in general. I have been retired now for 9 years, primal for two years. My joints and health have improved immensely. I took running up again this summer...I run 2 miles every Monday. Just once a week. Light jog/walk first 1/2 mile, flat out run 1 mile, then walk/sprint last 1/2 mile. Takes less than 20 minutes. I feel better and better every week.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chronic cardio definitions vary by the individual. One person's chronic cardio could be another's move slowly often.

Re: carb loading, of course you can carb load primally. Primal isn't lo-carb unless you choose that pattern of foods, for instance if you are trying to lose weight. Sweet potatoes are full of carbs, no?

In my experience you'll get better info on questions like this on exercise boards and blogs (then you must tailor the advice to primal foods) than on MDA, where there are a jillion different interpretations of how much is too much and when to eat what for different fitness goals.

Good luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast