Thread: Bloated from vegetables... Why? page

Greg is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

The abbreviated version of my story is I have been a Very Low Carber (sub 10g) per day for the past 16+ months. In that time, I have had an extremely success weight loss of 135 lbs. - I then stalled for 2 months straight. In my search, I found the Primal Blueprint to be exactly what I was looking for and needed. In terms of eating, exercise, lifestyle etc... It was a perfect fit and I have been 100% primal for a week now.

The switch was a simple one for because my body had been using fat as it's source of energy for so long - I obviously had no initial induction like symptoms or withdrawals.

The main changes in my diet that I made were: Dropping decaf coffee and dairy (heavy cream, cheeses, butter) - still use organic ghee. I also added a large amount of vegetables to my diet to increase my carb intake and aid in my heavy lifting routine.

My meals are still simple.

Lunch: BAS, w/ lettuce, cucumber, green and red peppers and fresh mushrooms (all primal low carb veggies). Topped with chicken or steak and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil and some fresh squeezed lemon.

For dinner I'll have say a 12oz cut of an untrimmed fatty steak and a nice pile of asparagus sauteed in ghee.

The addition of all these vegetables has caused me to have serious bloating over the past week.

Is this A) due to water retention from the veggies or B) something new that my body has to adjust to?

Any help would be appreciated as this is not the most comfortable feeling in the world.

Thanks!

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

Greg is offline Senior Member

Well, I did a little online research and I think I found my answer... The sudden increase of fiber from the vegetables are more than likely the reason for the bloating and this should pass as my body adjusts.

On another note, I have been having a regular (and daily) bowel movement which is something that eating a VLC diet for so long has prevented me from. This is a good thing! Or, at least it's a good feeling :-)

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

cookie is offline Senior Member

interesting, as eating a crap-ton (no pun intended) of veggies over the past few months has increased water content of my bowel movements (by a lot) and decreasing the frequency of bowel movements (every 4 days! wtf?!). i wasn't thinking this was related to my veg consumption, but you are getting me thinking that one could have to do with the other!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Interesting, indeed. Coming from a clean vegan diet, I experienced the opposite effect (not to a point of it being negative) as I kept my veggie consumption as high as ever, but replaced whole grains and legumes with meat and eggs.

As you adjust, you might find that cooking your vegetables helps. Even as accustomed as I am to loads of veggies, I find that they do cause occasional bloating if I eat a lot of them, all raw, at a time.

I like to roast, steam, or saute extra veggies at dinnertime and then put them, chilled, atop raw spinach for my usual breakfast salad.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Also some veggies do produce gas -- the cruciferous kind especially (broccoli, cabbage, that sort of thing). Two nights this past week I had a sort of stir-fry dish with beef and broccoli in a small amount of curry sauce that had tomato and onion, and I was definitely feeling it afterwards.