Thread: Vinegar, etc -- Is it Primal? page

waterjen is offline Member

Vinegar, etc -- Is it Primal?

Guys --
    Really went to town and cleaned out the pantry last week when I started eating Primally (I already feel much better now than during the four years I spent as a veg, btw). But when I started surfing the net for new recipes, I found a bunch of conflicting information and a lot of recipes that purported to be either Primal or Paleo but I thought included questionable ingredients (specifically those which I had already tossed/donated). So I thought I'd go to some experts and get the low down.
    • Apple cider vinegar (unpastuerized, Bragg's or similar) and other vinegars (Balsamic, etc)
    • chia seeds
    • soy sauce/tamari
    • pecan oil
    • cashews (a legume???)
    • sprouts -- broccoli, alfalfa, etc (all but bean-sprouts)
    • wheatgrass juice
    • liquid stevia (a little bit of alcohol, but the unflavored varieties)
    • cocoa powder vs. cacao vs. carob
    • any items you may have thought might be up for interpretation (other than dairy, which has been covered exhaustively in a number of places, and use of oils in general)

Thanks!
    WaterJen

On Mark's main page, search each of these in the search bar. He's done some amazing articles on the ingredients you're questioning.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterjen View Post
    Guys --
    Really went to town and cleaned out the pantry last week when I started eating Primally (I already feel much better now than during the four years I spent as a veg, btw). But when I started surfing the net for new recipes, I found a bunch of conflicting information and a lot of recipes that purported to be either Primal or Paleo but I thought included questionable ingredients (specifically those which I had already tossed/donated). So I thought I'd go to some experts and get the low down.
    • Apple cider vinegar (unpastuerized, Bragg's or similar) and other vinegars (Balsamic, etc)
    • chia seeds
    • soy sauce/tamari
    • pecan oil
    • cashews (a legume???)
    • sprouts -- broccoli, alfalfa, etc (all but bean-sprouts)
    • wheatgrass juice
    • liquid stevia (a little bit of alcohol, but the unflavored varieties)
    • cocoa powder vs. cacao vs. carob
    • any items you may have thought might be up for interpretation (other than dairy, which has been covered exhaustively in a number of places, and use of oils in general)

Thanks!
    WaterJen
    ACV: primal
    Chia seeds: primal
    Soy sauce/tamari: okay if wheat free
    Pecan oil: primal but like all nut oils, higher in O6, so be aware
    Cashews: fruit seed, primal
    Sprouts: primal
    Wheatgrass juice: I avoid it because of potential gluten contamination
    Stevia: one of the better artificial sweeteners if you're going to use them
    Cocoa powder/carob: primal, sweetened cocoa mix is not primal though

For details, search the blog as suggested. You can get more info on what to be aware of in a given food, and it's fairly easy to look up other stuff. Also, you can look beyond Mark's blog and do a Google search for "[food name] primal" or "[food name] paleo" and you should get some additional positions on a given food.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Stevia isn't artificial - it's a tea extract. Depending on the type you have, it may be full of fillers or glycerine.

waterjen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone for your help!