Thread: when your body is trying to heal - what are the best things for it? page

sunshine* is offline Junior Member

when your body is trying to heal - what are the best things for it?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all

I've been eating paleo (but with dairy) for almost 2 months now. Feel pretty good, have lost approx 13kg, feel fitter (despite not exercising - due to illness), look healthier etc, etc!

I am about to have surgery in a couple of days - a laparoscopy for endometriosis (second one in 5 years) and i have been on a liquid diet for 2 days. Blergh - feel horrible.

My main point I guess is that once i've had the surgery, my body will be trying to heal itself and I want to do whatever i can - physically, nutritionally, whatever - to help my body heal as fast and as smoothly as possible, as well as continue to lose weight.

A bit of background: I'm on prozac 40mg, i am hypothytoid and take dessicated pig thyroid 120mg.

Any tips on what would be the best way to eat (certain nutrients) the best way to move (I wasn't exercising recently due to an extended and horrible viral flu which is finally clearing up) would be very much appreciated.

I need to lose weight ( I have approx 45kg to lose ) I am 6 feet tall, 32 years old and physically quite strong and have a muscly build.

thanks in advance!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth with lots of gelatin in it!

Some good additions for stirring in if you want to change up the flavor:
    a spoonful of pesto
    two spoonfuls of salsa, green or red
    olive tapenade

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Walking has been proven to help with recovery....it sucks to do as you will be in some pain but it gets the body going. Also get plenty of sleep as that is when the body is primed to recover.

Keep on eating primal and the rest will follow but walking will do you wonders!!! Get plenty of sleep and you will be on the path to getting better and kick starting your path to health.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Bump for bone broth

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Last time I had a surgery, it was this, in no particular order:

lots of sleep, walking, sitting in the dappled sunshine, broth with fresh herbs, funny movies (laughter being a potent medicine), good music, homeopathic Bioplasma (an all-around tonic, if you do homeopathics, that is), more solid food as you feel able/doc allows, and repeat until well-healed.

Good luck, and please take it easy on yourself until you heal well, okay?

Oh! Maybe the movies shouldn't be tooooo funny, with the abdominal surgery and all, but still - perhaps a funny book, then.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you don't like bone broth, try oxtails in the crockpot. It's full of bones and gelatin but also has some meat to make it more of a meal than a watery soup. Also, eat your liver.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I had an intestinal blockage in June. Had surgery to correct and also removed my appendix and some benign tumours while they were in there. I had no food for about 8 days during the blockage and surgery, then a liquid diet for about 3 days - hospital crap. (lost 18 pounds I didn't need to lose). Once I got home I have been eating bone broth, about a pound of liver each week, lots of veggies and salads and fish. I also mix a teaspoon of Gelatin with some Komucha and some bee pollen into a glass of jiuce 2X a day. Also ate some sourkraut to try to get the intestinal processes working again. Also I try to walk 4-5 time a day. The first few days it was only a few yards each time but day by day I got stronger. Yesterday one of my walks was about 3 Km.
    Trying not to lift anything more than 5- 10 lbs and not much twsting or bending until I heal. Seem to be progressing very well - going back to work tomorrow about 2 weeks ahead of schedule - will be a while before I can lift much and exercise intently.
    56 years old - first surgery of any kind. The scar extends vertically about 4 inches below and above my navel(about 8inches) and cut through all my abdominal muscles. Guess I will have lumpy six pack :-).
    Definitely recommend the bone broth, the liver, the gelatin and of course the veggies and fish protein. If it throws your intestinal system off, I would recommend the prebiotocs and probiotics like kefir, kombucha, sourkraut etc. Also the gentle slow walking is great to get blood flowing and help you heal. Drink lots of fluids to help flush out the bi-products of the healing.
    Take your time and let the healing processes work.
    Hope all goes well for you.
    Last edited by twa2w; 07-27-2012 at 07:33 PM.