Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180 Degree Health Blog. Matt Stone. page

Rheia is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi Guys,

I've been on PB since Oct 09 and have lost 30lbs since then. I had gained a lot during my pregnancy due to the doctor advice of having 6-11 servings of grains a day...I was always curious to why I had the ability to always battle my weight since I've been a dancer for 10 years now (performing and instructing), and quite active and followed the 'healthy food pyramid diet'.

Anyway, I've been feeling wonderful since I started, clear skin, better digestion, weight loss, muscle developing big time, etc etc, I love the food and I hardly ever get hunger pains or cravings anymore.

My question for you all, and Mark if he is around on here, is what do you think of Matt Stones work at 180 degree health. He seems to believe that since some civilizations and tribes have existed healthily on high grain/carb diets, that instead of cutting the grains/carbs we should eat lots of them to heal and train our metabolism to work correctly, etc etc.

I'm very satisfied with the PB and keeping my carbs moderately around 100g with lots of veggies and some fruit. But I would love to know what you guys think about this blog.

http://www.180degreehealth.blogspot.com/

He seems to be all over the place on different blogs.

I would love to hear some opinions on this guy.

I still have some weight to lose, but I am so impressed with the progress I've made so far. I find this lifestyle a lot more conducive to my dancing career, which doesn't fall into chronic cardio as my heart rate does not go into to high of a zone.

My husband...who is following the PB half assed (he still eats stone ground bread a tiny bit...has lost over 20lbs...

Trying not be jealous as my loss has been quite a bit slower than that, haha.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for awhile and I thought I would post regarding this all. It's great to see such an active and supportive community here!

Rheia

lesliek is offline Member

I wish I could offer a thoughtful review of his work or opinion, but the truth is I really don't understand where he gets his views, or what they are exactly. (And I've spent some time trying). He strikes me as someone who likes to disagree just for the sake of disagreement. If you're seeing all these health benefits from PB, I would be hesitant to go back to the SAD (which it sounds like he advocates..."high everything"). Visit the PaNu blog if you'd like more detailed/long-term medical views on a no-grain diet. Lots of good, thoughtful stuff over there.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

He seems to be vague by design so that you buy the ebooks.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

[quote]

He seems to be vague by design so that you buy the ebooks.</blockquote>

True. He also thinks he knows everything and everyone else is wrong. But his HED is not the SAD. He avoids omega 6, fructose and processed foods. He also avoids wheat IIRC.

Also, the more I learn about metabolism and nutrition and the more I eat primally, the less I believe in low-carb. I&#39;m not sure low-carb diets are harmful like Matt Stone says, but there is no reason to be afraid of carbs, like so many people around here are, as long as those carbs come from fruits and vegetables. At least it works for me. Eating VLC makes me hungry and miserable and doesn&#39;t help me lose weight.

I&#39;ve been reading a lot about lipotoxicity, which explains how gaining fat causes insulin resistance for many. Gaining fat CAUSES insulin resistance, not the other way around. Despite what&#39;s been said in low-carb books, there is no direct evidence that eating starches causes insulin resistance (fructose is still suspect), but increasing the levels of fat in the blood (lipotoxicity) does cause insulin resistance. This has been measured directly. And it does NOT imply that eating fat is bad either, only that insulin resistance is a consequence of obesity, not a cause. And what causes obesity? Leptin resistance. And what causes leptin resistance? The jury is still out, but current suspects are fructose, omega 6 fatty acids, inflamation in general.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

he strikes me as a bully - so i havent had the patience to go through all his stuff... but you guys got me intrigued. better go n check out his site.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Jedi is offline Member

I have been reading Matt&#39;s blog for the past 5 months. He is young and has a very direct style and can appear a little arrogant, which can be off putting. Try and get past this and read a little more, as I think he may be onto something with his focus on restoring low temperatures and regaining a healthy metabolism so that weight loss and maintenance are a natural byproduct. I have learnt a lot reading his blog and usually enjoy his humour. He really is open -minded and his blog is more a discovery journey towards a healthy metabolism. I don&#39;t think any one blogger has all the answers, which is why I read a handful of selected ones, trying to keep an open mind to all new thoughts/research/interpretations. I hate dogmatism and believe we are all different and different things work for different people.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

will do, jedi

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Jedi is offline Member

Eva, have to admit his latest blog is not the best to start with as it seems like an attack on Jimmy Moore, the big LC guru, but i do think Matt wants to help Jimmy as well. The comments are very interesting, though. feel free to add your 2cts worth. everyone there appreciates a good discussion

Rheia is offline Junior Member

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your responses!

I did a trial about a month ago, trying to introduce a tiny bit of grain into my diet via the whole Weston Price soaked and lacto-fermented grains (also sparked by some reading I did on Matt&#39;s blog). I noticed things coming back that I thought were normal, skin break outs, sore gums, water retention, all come back so you can guess how quickly I knocked the grains back out of my diet again. Plus I found that even soaked grains brought on intense cravings for more of them and unless I put myself on a leash I was heading for a huge downward spiral.

Matt seems to be against very low carb and calorie diets and the havoc he thinks they can put the metabolism through. He is definitely not into the SAD, opting for real foods a la Weston Price, etc etc, no HFCS or bad PUFA&#39;s, low omega 6.

For me THE PB isn&#39;t VLC or low calorie for me (as I eat a lot and average about 100g carbs a day from veggies, tiny bit of fruit and a bit of dairy) so I&#39;m sticking around here as I am feeling the best I have in a long time. I eat when I&#39;m hungry (which is a lot less now)and feel great.

I believe certain things affect some people greater than others and the grains really rub me the wrong way.

Thank you all for the discussion!

@Jedi- I agree, I am always scouring for information on nutrition to find what works the best for me

Cheers,

Rheia

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

A picture is worth a thousand words and he&#39;s a lot more puffy-looking than I would ever want to be.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast