Thread: Grok probably didn't kill off the North American megafauna page

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Anybody catch the Nova that talks (obliquely) about this? Looks like it was probably a comet strike about 12,900, much like the dinosaur's meteor strike of 65 million years ago. I'd imagine that that's why the extinction coincides with Grok's arrival. Grok was trying to find some grub.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/clovis/

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

there's some speculation that Grok's didn't make it across the bering strait until that point because cave bears, and saber tooth tigers found him too tasty.

One of these days I'll get around to catching up with the latest anthropology. I've always found it interesting.

If you caught the Nova episode, it was touching to see tears coming to the scientist's eyes as he got the evidence that would leave his theory at the front after applying Occam's razor.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Yeah, Allbeef, I saw that Nova. Interesting.

I also remember some stuff about the Clovis point (?) being the technology of the future, but now they think it came from Europe instead of across the land bridge from Asia, and earlier than they had thought before. It's very similar to a point found in France from just before then.

All the stuff we don't know ...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

By the way, I was in a natural history museum many years ago, with my Japanese college roommate, and she got very excited by an ancient South American sandal woven of grass. Apparently this same sandal is made in Japan to this day.

In addition to anthropology, catastrophism has always interested me. Don't get me started on an Ignatius Donnelly kick.

Jefferson is offline Member

There's all kinds of stuff we don't yet know.

Monte Verde is a site in Chile that dates to a thousand or two thousand years older than the oldest known Clovis site. The Bering Straight theory, at least by itself, also doesn't explain the different genetics and language roots of the various "native" peoples of North and South America.

Anthropology is just awesome, even if we never do figure it all out.