Thread: Robb Wolf: Vit. A blocks D (in CLO) page

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I was listening to Robb's awesome podcast today (#20) when I heard him recommend against taking Cod Liver Oil because the Vitamin A blocks or antagonizes the Vitamin D levels. I found this strange after reading countless articles from WAPF touting Vitamin A as a very good thing of which one could not overdo easily. It seems as though CLO is liquid gold to the WAPF. I have tremendous respect for both Robb Wolf and WAPF, but Robb's statement made me rethink my CLO supp.

Would anyone care to reconcile these opposing viewpoints concerning Vit. A intake as it relates to Vit. D levels/absorption?

Thanks

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I have also put my cod liver use on hiatus until there is a definite consensus. A while back Dr. Mercola made these claims and WAPF reponded to him saying that the bad guy was supplementation and not natural cod liver oil (you can find it on their site) but Mercola has more recently presented a new body of evidence seemingly supporting the claim, and I think that Wolf has seen it too.

I also need to see a real debate and critical analysis of the issue :/

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

NicoB is offline Senior Member

I don't have an answer, but I'd say email Wolf and ask him for the references he is reading on the subject.

He might not give you more info, but he'll probably point you in the right direction.

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

The WAPF website has information on it the other way, disputing the conclusion.

I don't know what to think...

Sooze

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

The Vitamin D Council has some articles on Vitamin A - I think in latest newsletter.

Re not using the cod liver oil - that was in regards to the specific issue on the podcast - Obliterative Bronchiolitis - which is an inflammatory and scarring condition in the lungs.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

@sue

I realize that I took it out of context, but Robb did make the statement general, as though the specific issue didn't matter in terms of CLO. He recommended just Vit. D or just Fish Oil over CLO supplementation right?

I'll make a comment on the Podcast. FWIW, I've been using a higher quality CLO from Radiant Life. I know WAPF warn against using CLO with added synthetic Vit. A and D so maybe Robb was referring to the low-grade CLO. Who knows?

kilton is offline Junior Member

The "Vitamin A blocks Vitamin D" theory has very little evidence to support it, usually cherry-picked and over-interpreted. And it doesn't jive with the fact that organ meats (especially the liver) were often the most prized part of the animal in H/G tribes.

http://www.westonaprice.org/blog/mor...in-a.html.html

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

Considering that D and A are always found together in foods (CLO, liver and egg yolks) I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people are on high doses of D 3 to correct deficiencies and this can actually create a vit. A deficiency if none is taken, so I htink CLO is still good, esp. if you're on D3.

Also, people with keratosis pilaris, acne and people with hypothyroidism (who cannot convert beta carotene to A) can really benefit from a little A.