Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some issues with the Warrior Diet help me out please. page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

Having some issues with the Warrior Diet help me out please.

Primal Fuel
    I have been on and off on the Warrior Diet. Hopefully after my questions get answered on this forum. I can do it full time and for many years to come.

1. Just the other day on my first trial basis day on the warrior diet. My boss told me I looked pale. Will this go away? I mean looking pale. Seriously I bet I looked really really hungry. My first day I had a banana, water and a apple in the morning before I showed up to work.

2. Do I eat small Paleo based snacks throughout the day and then have a full meal for dinner?

3. How long until the hunger pains go away?

4. I'm afraid of losing muscle while doing this. I'm I getting nervous over nothing? I just want to burn the fat off my body.

5. For anyone else that is doing this as well please share any tips you have that can help.

By the way I have a warehouse job so that keeps me going throughout the day. I do a lot of walking, lifting, bending over to pick things up, crouching. It's a very active job.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Odds are you will only gain muscle with this way of eating. Just make sure you pound down significant protein and your choice of carbs or fat in your mega-meal. Shoot for at least 3500 calories if you really are as busy as you sound.

The banana and apple will keep you very hungry. If you asked me how to make a person hungry during a fast, a piece of fruit would be my answer. It spikes your blood sugar while providing almost no caloric load, leaving you ravenous. Better to eat nothing, or a box/can of coconut milk. Black coffee also will curb the hunger.

Never snack! If you are eating one meal a day, then do it. Snacks will make and keep you hungry, while eliminating the benefits of eating once a day. Any fast where you aren't fasting is NOT a fast.

Hunger fades in a couple of days, as soon as your body figures out it's only getting one massive meal, and your blood sugar stabilizes because you AREN'T snacking.

Best to eat after work, so you can stuff yourself silly and go to bed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I'm not sure what this diet entails exactly, but I've settled into a pretty good routine the last few weeks of having my first meal at around 2pm. The first week I was hungry in the morning but it does get a lot easier. I don't think I could do the small snacks during the day because I only realize I'm hungry when I start eating, so a few hundred calories would probably be harder than eating nothing personally. I also wouldn't want to go all day without eating on a consistent basis, I just don't think I would enjoy it.

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Odds are you will only gain muscle with this way of eating. Just make sure you pound down significant protein and your choice of carbs or fat in your mega-meal. Shoot for at least 3500 calories if you really are as busy as you sound.

The banana and apple will keep you very hungry. If you asked me how to make a person hungry during a fast, a piece of fruit would be my answer. It spikes your blood sugar while providing almost no caloric load, leaving you ravenous. Better to eat nothing, or a box/can of coconut milk. Black coffee also will curb the hunger.

Never snack! If you are eating one meal a day, then do it. Snacks will make and keep you hungry, while eliminating the benefits of eating once a day. Any fast where you aren't fasting is NOT a fast.

Hunger fades in a couple of days, as soon as your body figures out it's only getting one massive meal, and your blood sugar stabilizes because you AREN'T snacking.

Best to eat after work, so you can stuff yourself silly and go to bed.
    Thank you for reply. Yeah I was really hungry that day I ate the fruit. I drank organic green tea when I got to work in the break room today. I had two cups but man I had a bad aftertaste of the green tea and it was making me nauseous. Good thing my co-worker had some gum I can chew on. I know chewing gum is bad for you with the high fructose corn syrup and the chemicals in it but I had no choice. It helped me.

So basically wake up, get ready for work, drink straight black coffee and lots of water. Have a big feast of a meal when I get home from work.

Do you know what kind of results will I get with this? I'm excited to do this. I'm mostly excited for the extra energy I heard people get. Will I lose a pound of fat a week?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    By the way I have a warehouse job so that keeps me going throughout the day. I do a lot of walking, lifting, bending over to pick things up, crouching. It's a very active job.
    Do you work 40hrs a week in the standard 8-5 fashion, with an hour break? If so, don't kill yourself waiting for that ONE meal. Eat two (at the very least man) you're not a desk jokey, those people can afford to sit and not eat for hours because they're not spending yourself physically like you are.

You're new to primal right? I apologize then because I'm going to slightly contradict some of the things you may have learned. There is really no magic to eating in a shorter window (there ARE some physiological benefits, which is why I 'fast' daily, but no MAGIC) so someone like you could just take that same "massive" meal and turn it into two meals and benefit just the same.

Try this, as a way to dabble in fasting and also ease your way into the full-on warrior diet, which may not be the way you choose to go in the end anyway. Skip breakfast, have coffee (or nothing), eat at 1pm or noon with your co-workers, eat the rest or your "second" meal at night after work. Rinse and repeat, see how you feel, look, perform, etc. Once you do that for 2-4 weeks you should be pretty used to that (I, and others that skip breakfast, rarely even feel hunger during these hours. If we do, it's mild and goes away) then you can see if you want to go longer. I personally don't think it makes much of a difference, and I find eating two meals to be a lot easier to maintain. I also am not good at stuffing myself, nor do I enjoy it, so I much prefer the 2 meal a day approach. It's easier psychologically as well, and you can enjoy eating with people you work with, stuff like that is important to me.

Experiment though, good luck.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with iniQuity..

I've experimented with every way to intermittent fast.. I've found it easier & less stressful to eat twice a day.. Stuffing myself once a day can become a chore.. (Often I'm just too tired to sit & eat a GIANT meal) The excitement & adrenaline of starting something "new" & all the positive changes this "change" will bring is a blast in the beginning.. BUT, how sustainable is it? This shouldn't be a "diet", this should establish a new lifestyle that's actually convenient.. Can you live the next year eating one GIANT meal a day? Does that fit into your social life? I found myself getting stressed & having to literally plan how I was going to dodge eating with family mid-day on a weekend, with my girlfriend on vacation, with a client around lunch.. Its tough to sustain eating one giant meal a day..

May think about going to 2 meals a day, eating that lunch with co-workers (even if its a smaller "fatty" meal), then eating that big dinner.. If you think you overconsumed calories in a given "2-meal" day, then throwing in a 24-hr fast is a great idea.. I fast for 24-hrs twice a week, & that's much easier to plan.. Maybe instead of thinking about a "day" of eating, plan it by the "week".. Maybe you're going to eat 11-12 meals a week.. You will lose fat if you're in a caloric deficit @ the end of the week, you don't need to stress about the calorie requirements by the day..

Just my opinion.. I've been where you're @ & know the stress that comes with planning this warrior style diet can be counter-productive to the benefits of the fast.. 2 meals for me allows for a 24-hr fast whenever I want, but doesn't put pressure on me to not eat during the day with friends, family & coworkers.. Remember the KEY is sustainability.. Hopefully you'll establish something here that can support your eating habits for the rest of your life
    Last edited by abc123; 07-24-2012 at 08:40 AM.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    The Warrior Diet, I followed it a year or so ago and liked it. Ori Hofmeckler's site has lots of info about it, but my recollection is that if you are hungry following workouts (like your job), small amounts of protein foods are acceptable. You might ease into it a bit if you are having difficulty with the transition from normal eating.

There's a 3-part intermittant fasting primer on this site that's worth looking at, in it the OP suggests methodologies for gradually getting to a full 20 hours off and 4 hours on eating schedule.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Everybody is different, so you'll need to experiment and see what works best for your body. Personally, I tried the one meal a day and I didn't like it. At first I wasn't eating enough in the one meal and found I was real low on energy. I tried eating more and didn't like the uncomfortable feeling of being so stuffed. So for me, eating two meals works best....I eat my first meal around 2 and my second around 6. With such an active job, I would think you might need to eat more than once.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I feel this "warrior diet" worked well for me for several reasons. I love feeling stuffed. I can easily keep eating long after I think I might be full. I get many calories in the form of melted tallow, which I just drink after I eat the veggies they were cooked in. I start every meal with a pound of meat and then add greens and mushrooms, eggs, etc. after that. Protein and fat are first, then the other stuff. But protein also includes liver, fish, duck, etc. Variety is important. But if I try to skimp on protein, I pay for it in focus and stamina. The way I did this let me stock up on micronutrients every other week, because of my work schedule. I'd do warrior/fast five/IF/whatever else you want to call eating once a day/ for 8 days, and then take six days to eat ad-lib.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You may want to try skipping just breakfast for a couple months to get used to the shortened feeding window. When you are completely comfortable with that, then start on the Warrior diet. I find it just as easy to not eat for 42 hours as 24. But it took a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast