Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How best to fuel up for intense workout? page 2

Lolly is offline Member

Primal Fuel

there are less sugars in the veggies and still plenty of quality carbs. you could pre-cook & scoop into a portable vessel. i like to mix mine with a blob of coconut milk, cinnamon & some chopped walnuts for a little extra nutrition/taste. i think you will need to experiment with what works for you but don't let being "on the run" cause you to make less than optimal fuel choices.

while not primal, i always found a protein shake w/glutamine immediately post workout really helped recovery...honestly (and i'll get flamed for this)....more than real food.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member

thanks. obviously I need to work harder at doing this correctly.

I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

WVJungleMan is offline Junior Member
    You're going to have to give it more than two weeks for your body to adjust to burning fat i/o carbs. I think the rule of thumb is six weeks, but it took me longer, but now I don't know how I functioned otherwise. Keep in mind that everything I'm saying is from the point of view of someone who has adjusted and has experimented with his routine for about 18 months.

I workout in the morning and don't eat anything beforehand and for an hour afterward. I've found that if I eat less than a few hours before a workout, I don't have that whole "killer focus" thing going on like I do if I go in hungry. I tend to feel "wrung out" afterward, but I'm fine again after the hour break, and I figure that's about the time it takes for my body to replenish itself out of fat stores, so I go ahead and eat. My workouts tend to go from 0.75 - 1.5 hours depending upon how close I am to a meet. I'm a powerlifter, (training every other day w/extra off days as I need them) and I trail sprint one to three days a week on my off days. (Usually goes like this: 5 - 10 mins warmup, 10 - 15 minutes of sprints, however long a hike it takes me to get to the end of the trail. 20 - 45 mins.)

I personally think you're still too much into the whole CW gotta carb-up to workout thinking. If you were getting ready for a triathlon, I could see it, but an hour-long spinning class? Even when my friends and I go mountain biking and I know I'm going to be out there a few hours, I usually just eat a sweet potato and/or load up w/fruit the night before. Seriously, I hate to eat less than 5 hours before a workout.

I may be a unique case, but this is what's worked for me for a while now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12