Thread: Lots of questions! page

amandaJ is offline Junior Member

Smile Lots of questions!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!
    I have been 100% primal now for 10days and I have some questions for you. I am 5'8 and 149lbs. My goal with this lifestyle is to stay healthy and also get the extra fat off. I have been having some trouble with being very tired and lightheaded ever since I changed my diet. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way and had any advice on what to eat. I also like to run and was running about 15-20 miles a week (about 4/5 at a time) before switching over. I have noticed that I just do not have the energy to do this anymore. Am I missing something or is this just a phase that passes after a few weeks? Is there anything that I should be doing that I am not?
    As far as weight loss goes, I lost 3lbs in the first few days, but have stayed the same ever since.

Here is an example of what I eat throughout the day:
    Breakfast: Smoothie (coconut milk, strawberries, banana)
    Lunch: Spinach salad with shrimp, balsamic vinegar/ olive oil
    Dinner: 2 tilapia fillets or lean steak, and grilled veggies
    Snack: Mixed nuts (unsalted), Fruit

Thanks

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like carb flu and we've all gone through it to one extent or another. It should pass in another couple of days to a week or so. It's your body basically detoxing from the carb load we normally eat on the SAD. Stick to eating what you're eating and it will pass and you'll feel great.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    At 5'8", you're incredibly close to where your body wants to be. At 5'6" and a medium to small frame, my "perfect weight" is 145, though I do understand we're all different so YMMV.

As you lose any inflammation and excess water weight, you may find your goal weight to actually be higher than you thought. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be losing weight. That's your decision. I'm just saying it's better to go off of how you look and feel than choosing a number that might not apply anymore when your body starts changing.

Once you get through carb flu, your body will usually look leaner without the scale moving at all. Ask a boyfriend/spouse/SO/friend for an objective opinion or use a tape measure if you want.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Comments in bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by amandaJ View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I have been 100% primal now for 10days and I have some questions for you. I am 5'8 and 149lbs. My goal with this lifestyle is to stay healthy and also get the extra fat off. I have been having some trouble with being very tired and lightheaded ever since I changed my diet. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way and had any advice on what to eat.
    This is quite common and is known as the 'low carb flu'. It typically lasts 1-3 weeks, while your body adjusts.

I also like to run and was running about 15-20 miles a week (about 4/5 at a time) before switching over. I have noticed that I just do not have the energy to do this anymore. Am I missing something or is this just a phase that passes after a few weeks? Is there anything that I should be doing that I am not?
    When people switch away from carbs they often also spontaneously reduce their total calorie intake. So if you are running you might want to consciously increase your calorie intake (perhaps with some sweet potatoes). Or maybe dial the running back a little?

As far as weight loss goes, I lost 3lbs in the first few days, but have stayed the same ever since.
    I don't want to be disheartening here, but the dramatic weight loss that happens in the first few days is mostly water loss. Fat loss (what you are really after) is sadly the same old energy in energy out equation. Maybe look at changing your working out to less running and more lifting heavy things?

Here is an example of what I eat throughout the day:
    Breakfast: Smoothie (coconut milk, strawberries, banana)
    Lunch: Spinach salad with shrimp, balsamic vinegar/ olive oil
    Dinner: 2 tilapia fillets or lean steak, and grilled veggies
    Snack: Mixed nuts (unsalted), Fruit
    Looks great. At this stage, just get comfortable adjusting to the foods and lifestyle. Reducing snacking will probably be the next step for you.

Thanks
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

amandaJ is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much for your feedback. It is so nice to have support on here from people like you!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would also recommend using one of the online food calculators and put in a day or 2 or 3 and see what your intake really is. I know for me when I switch up my food I almost always end up cutting my calories WAY back without intending too. And then I feel very tired! So check a few days food, see where your calorie load is and adjust it if needed.