Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed! page

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member

Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, sounds a bit stupid, but hear me out! The last few times I've had a tattoo, I've had a period where I get all shaky and faint, which usually occurs a few minutes into the tattooing process. This seems to be fixed quite nicely by sucking on a lollipop! In fact, I started sucking the lollipop at the start of my last tattoo, and I had no faintness or dizziness.

Anyways, now I'm Primal I really, REALLY don't want to have to resort to sugar. BUT I am scared that the same thing will happen, and I'll get all faint and dizzy and the only thing that will fix it will be to suck on something evil and sugary .

I haven't been primal for very long (I have been introducing more traditional fats/foods etc. but I was still consuming too much sugar up until only about a week ago), and I really REALLY don't want to fall off the bandwagon here.

So has anyone got any advice/experience? Is there anything else you know that will stave off the "shock" reaction my body seems to have>

Thanks!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!" so as for a primal way to handle the hell you're willingly inflicting on your body, there might not be one. If you're going to get a tattoo regardless... how about a square or two of dark chocolate? Look for at least 70% cacao... if you want something sweet, the 70% is the way to go. I think there's a world of taste difference between 70% and 85% (bleh). Chocolate also has a host of mood-boosting flavonoids. Best of luck!

sureman is offline Junior Member
    If possible, lie down and let the blood flow to your head. I have a fear after injections (not during, after!) where I get the hot flush, cold sweats, feel faint, weak and everything. I found lying down is a great help. Dark chocolate is a great idea too.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It's called meditation.
    Google around and learn some breathing exercises and such to help you get you there.

I've been tattooed 3 times, twice I fell asleep during it.
    The one I didn't fall asleep for is small and on the inside of my forearm... no time to doze off completely really. But is wasn't painful at all. Plus I was sitting up instead leaning over of face down all comfortable like.
    The other two times low on the back of my neck, and my left hip/butt cheek... fell asleep. And was told that's not how I was supposed to react. *shrug*
    It's all about learning to breathe out any pain you feel, and zone yourself out so that you don't feel any more.
    Ride those endorphins in a good way, instead of the shaky, nervous way.

And if it takes a lolly-pop to get you through... so what.
    A couple of suckers is not the end of the world. Seriously.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If it's a stress/blood sugar thing, you will still need something. Bring some fruit (for the sugar) and kombucha (to settle your stomach) to snack on. Bring some chocolate because it's delicious and a lolly-pop, because it's better to have something just in case your alternative doesn't work than to have to stop because you are going to faint.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!"
    Not really. Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.

Oh, and to the OP, lying down is definitely a good idea, and make sure you've had a decent meal an hour or two beforehand. I used to get light headed but my last tattoo (I have 7) I was fine, almost dozed off. Meditating and breathing through it is good as well. It helps to have a good rapport with the artist also. If you feel comfortable and relaxed then it tends to go easier.
    Last edited by Blackcatbone; 07-23-2012 at 04:13 PM.

If I get blood drawn, I bring music with me and sing the lyrics in my head to divert my attention.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Not really. Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.
    +1. Body modification is very Primal, methinks.

Unless you seriously think one lollipop is going to throw you off the rails, just have your lollipop. If you really don't want to do that, try some fruit or something else naturally sweet instead.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's called meditation.
    Google around and learn some breathing exercises and such to help you get you there.
    This ^

If it works for birthing them babies (and I can attest that it does) it can work for a tattoo (I can attest to this as well).

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    And if it takes a lolly-pop to get you through... so what.
    A couple of suckers is not the end of the world. Seriously.
    And this ^
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Body mods are old as time and primal - but modern tattoo inks are not. I wonder what they're made of?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast