Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed! page 2

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Unfortunately, tattoo ink manufacturers are not regulated or required to report on their ingredients. To my knowledge, they do not use heavy metals like they used to. Some are "vegan" and may be soy-based.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    That's not very reassuring.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    This sounds a lot like a vasovagal response. My husband gets this if he has blood drawn while sitting. If he lies down while having his blood taken, he's totally fine. He had no idea this was the reason until some doctor mentioned it in passing last year. I don't know how much control you have over the position you're in (maybe it depends on where the tattoo is?) but have you tried lying down?

These were two of the suggestions from wikipedia that might be helpful:

Because vasovagal syncope causes a decrease in blood pressure, relaxing the entire body as a mode of avoidance isn't favorable.[11] A patient can move or cross his/her legs and tighten leg muscles to keep blood pressure from dropping so drastically before an injection.

Before known triggering events, the patient may increase consumption of salt and fluids to increase blood volume. Sports and energy drinks, as well as coconut water, may be particularly helpful.

Vasovagal response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But honestly, if the lollipop works, I say keep using it. One lollipop is not the end of the world.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!" so as for a primal way to handle the hell you're willingly inflicting on your body, there might not be one
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    +1. Body modification is very Primal, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Body mods are old as time and primal - but modern tattoo inks are not. I wonder what they're made of?
    Just to throw my $.02 into the speculation ring..........

While, yes there are many "primitive" cultures that westerners have come in contact with who sported tattoos and other body mods, I think if you take it back farther in history to Grok's time, I have to agree with 2nd Chance above.

Groks would have seen fellow tribe members die of infections in wounds. Voluntarily inflicting a wound on themselves (which is what "body mod" is), would have violated the "Avoid stupid mistakes" rule of living.

And I share Lily Marie's concern about the content of the ink itself. That goes against the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. We will go out of our way to get an additive free soap but voluntarily put ink *under* our skin?

Blanchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Just to throw my $.02 into the speculation ring..........

While, yes there are many "primitive" cultures that westerners have come in contact with who sported tattoos and other body mods, I think if you take it back farther in history to Grok's time, I have to agree with 2nd Chance above.

Groks would have seen fellow tribe members die of infections in wounds. Voluntarily inflicting a wound on themselves (which is what "body mod" is), would have violated the "Avoid stupid mistakes" rule of living.

And I share Lily Marie's concern about the content of the ink itself. That goes against the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. We will go out of our way to get an additive free soap but voluntarily put ink *under* our skin?
    I would argue that in indigenous cultures, body modifications are almost always tied to cultural or religious beliefs and values; hence the risk of infection or death might seem an acceptable risk. Take scarification for instance- being cut repeatedly and then having wood ash rubbed into the wounds seems like a terrible idea, especially in a setting where infection or parasites are a very distinct possibility. However, cultures around the world engage in this practice in order to recognize an individual within that society. To them it's not a stupid mistake to be avoided at all; it is a vital part of their culture, risks included.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Also, you'll find that the particular pigments used often *just happen* to come from antimicrobial plants that prevent infection in the wounds...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone, we will see how it goes! I'm thinking I'll bring something along just in case... if I need it, I need it, if I don't, I don't.

For the record, I never had a problem with the first couple of tattoos I had (when I was younger, thinner and fitter lol), it was only a couple of more recent ones. It was a weird response (to me) as it isn't as if the pain was excruciating or anything, and I was handling it well and then BAM all faint, sweating and dizzy. However, the last tattoo I had, I didn't experience the reaction, but I put it down to starting my lollipop right from the beginning rather than when I had the shock type response. (Vasovagal response, as BestBetter suggested, perhaps?)

As for avoiding tattoos cause they're not primal... well, I just consider myself a neo-primal and, of course, as has been mentioned many traditional indigenous cultures pierce, and stretch and tattoo and do all sorts of stuff! And yeah, I like tattoos .

I am SORT of hoping that now I've adapted to being sugar free for a wee while, that my body won't suddenly NEED sugar desperately. It would be awesome if I could lie down, too, but it's not really a "lying down position" tattoo (inner forearm).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    I would argue that in indigenous cultures, body modifications are almost always tied to cultural or religious beliefs and values; hence the risk of infection or death might seem an acceptable risk. Take scarification for instance- being cut repeatedly and then having wood ash rubbed into the wounds seems like a terrible idea, especially in a setting where infection or parasites are a very distinct possibility. However, cultures around the world engage in this practice in order to recognize an individual within that society. To them it's not a stupid mistake to be avoided at all; it is a vital part of their culture, risks included.
    I agree with you're saying but I'm talking about father back in pre-history than civilizations that had religious rites or rites of passage. I'm talking about Grok and his extended family surviving in a pretty hostile world. They wouldn't risk losing a tribe member for a body mod. In later, larger, more organized societies, yes, I see what you're saying.

Also, you'll find that the particular pigments used often *just happen* to come from antimicrobial plants that prevent infection in the wounds...
    I wonder if there are tattoo places that specialize in organic pigments. The next niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    As for avoiding tattoos cause they're not primal... well, I just consider myself a neo-primal and, of course, as has been mentioned many traditional indigenous cultures pierce, and stretch and tattoo and do all sorts of stuff! And yeah, I like tattoos .
    I hope you have a safe and happy experience. I didn't mean to be anti-tat per se. Just historical speculation.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I wonder if there are tattoo places that specialize in organic pigments. The next niche market.
    That would definitely be cool--I'm sure there are already places that use traditional methods and inks, though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    That would definitely be cool--I'm sure there are already places that use traditional methods and inks, though.
    I know there are places that do traditional Polynesian tattoos (using bones as needles and tapping, IIRC), but I don't know of any other types or going further back, and I haven't heard anything about the inks people use. It just never occurred to me until now that you could have a choice.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast