Thread: New and Need Help!! page

Nancy Ann is offline Junior Member

New and Need Help!!

Primal Fuel
    I am just at the end of my rope and need to start back into the Primal diet for our family. My husband is on board as well and we always do things as a family and this is what we need to do. I have a three year old daughter and a 10 year old son. My husband and I need to lose weight and more importantly we just need to be and feel healthy. I have all sorts of little ailments like sinusitis and GERD that are just getting worse. I first discovered this diet a year ago after Christmas. But as with so many things it was hard to stick to. But now we have a renewed strength and want to do this.

I do have the book and cookbook and have read through the book twice and it is so encouraging. Mark writes in such a positive manner and he's so very helpful.

We have a Trader Joes and Whole Foods close to us. Those of you who shop there what foods are you buying there to stock your fridge and cabinets? Trader Joes is my main shopping place but Whole Foods is not far away.

I also need simple breakfast ideas as basic scrambled eggs make me gag! I am a cereal and oatmeal girl and so the Primal diet has always been tough for me when it comes to breakfast!! I love salads and so lunch is easy

Can I PLEASE have popcorn when we go see Batman on Thursday!! I just love the movies any other suggestions for movie foods or if I just sneak in a bottle of water I will get used to it?

Thank you for any help and encouragement!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Egg muffins for breakfast - fill muffin tin with sausage bake 10 mine @350, add chopped veggies (peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc), pour in scrambled eggs, bake 20 min @350. Easy to reheat during the week.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Who said you have to eat eggs for breakfast? Try thinking outside the box~ like a leftover chicken leg, can of sardines, tuna salad on a romaine leaf~ down the road, you may even want to skip breakfast and just have a bigger, meatier salad at lunch.
    I really like TJ's full fat Greek yogurt~ mixed with berries, would be a great breakfast, unless you're intolerant~

While you're at TJ's, pick up a bag of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) Not perfect, but much better than popcorn!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ann View Post
    We have a Trader Joes and Whole Foods close to us. Those of you who shop there what foods are you buying there to stock your fridge and cabinets? Trader Joes is my main shopping place but Whole Foods is not far away.
    I'm mostly a Whole Foods shopper. My typical grocery list consists of meat, fish, veggies, fruit, eggs, cream for my coffee, maybe some cheese and nuts, the aforementioned coffee and tea. Oils, like olive and coconut. Butter/ghee. My TJ's doesn't do so great on the quality of the fresh foods, but they're good for many of the things on my list of indulgences. Wine, cheese, nuts, chocolate. One thing that I get there, though, that I can't get at WF is plain non-virgin olive oil. This is great for making mayo.

I also need simple breakfast ideas as basic scrambled eggs make me gag! I am a cereal and oatmeal girl and so the Primal diet has always been tough for me when it comes to breakfast!! I love salads and so lunch is easy
    Eggs aren't required. Meat and veg are great. If you can find sausages without crap in them, great. If not, you can just cook up your own meat. I don't have a lot of time in the morning, so yesterday I cooked up enough beef patties seasoned like sausages to last me the week. I just heat them up in the morning. I think eggs are so popular largely because they are quick to cook.

Can I PLEASE have popcorn when we go see Batman on Thursday!! I just love the movies any other suggestions for movie foods or if I just sneak in a bottle of water I will get used to it?
    You can have whatever you like. If your body puts up with it, then great. The frequency and magnitude of these steps off the path can affect your long term goals. You know best if you're keeping in good limits. No one's handing out medals or demerits. If you're going to eat something non-primal, do it without guilt and enjoy yourself. Then get back going with healthy food. I like to put it in context of how much I really enjoy that food. If you absolutely adore popcorn, then maybe it's worth it to you. If it's just a habit you feel some nostalgia for, then maybe think again.

That said, here's why I think movie popcorn is really bad food: The oil they use is usually industrially processed and rancid. Corn is not only a grain with a protein that many people react badly to (similar to gluten), it's likely GMO. Personally, I'm gluten intolerant and I react to corn, so I wouldn't be eating that even though (home made) popcorn was one of my favorite snacks pre-primal. Not only is it damaging for my autoimmune condition, I also now see how it racks my digestion. But your mileage may vary. If you can eat it every so often and still feel good, then it's up to you if it's worth it to you. I don't have much of an issue with a little rice or legumes, so I indulge in those now and again. You'll find what's right for your body.

Would it be best to skip it all together? Hell, yes! Bring some water or some iced tea or something. Better than soda, even diet. I gave up movie snacking years before going primal. It was just a calorie bomb I didn't need. I've usually eaten a meal not long before the movie anyway.

So welcome to MDA and good luck! You're making a big change and that takes real guts. If you take some baby steps forward and back here and there, don't beat yourself up.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I take it you're eating your typical white eggs? Spring for the brown, cage-free kind (around here all I can find is Eggland's Best, they aren't perfect but at least their hens are allowed outside and aren't treated with antibiotics). The taste difference is off the charts. I hated scrambled eggs back when I ate the white ones. I like to stir fry some broccoli in a bit of olive oil and water (it's sort of half-steam half-fry), then when it's almost cooked, put it in a frying pan (coated with a little olive oil, cause cooking sprays are full of nasty trans-fats and I can't afford to cook with coconut oil or whatever the other "more primal" options are), pour three scrambled eggs over it, a dash of salt, and cook til the eggs are done. MMmmm. It reminds me of pizza... only better, and without the feeling of guilt afterwards. You'll be full til dinner.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 07-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Nancy Ann is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a bunch for all these suggestions.

Daisy Eater, thank you for the advice to take baby steps. I need to remind myself that this is a marathon and not a 50 yard dash. I want this to stick.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal granola with cream for breakfast(many good recipes on this forum-basically toasted nuts and seeds).

BrodieMN is offline Member
    Good luck.

From my personal experience....I just can't cheat. Well, I guess I could, but it really does a number on my pysche. I tell myself it is ok, I will start tomorrow and then I tell myself if I am starting tomorrow then why not a blizzard It is better for me to just know that this is how I need to eat and find my favorite low carb food, bacon, and go a little overboard.

Have you tried skipping breakfest at times? IF, so to speak. Lots of good articles on here about fasting.