Thread: Pickled Jalapenos page

jfaw1124 is offline Junior Member

Pickled Jalapenos

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I was curious if jalapenos can be pickled by fermenting like cukes can? I have looked and looked and nearly every recipe I came across for them requires canning, and I just don't want to do it! If this is doable, does anyone have a recipe suggestion? I have a ton of peppers from our garden and I need to do something with them stat!

Thanks!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Yes. You can pickle any member of the capsicum family. I have done this with birdseye chillies. Place whole in jar, add brine (1TSP salt to 1 cup of water) to cover and weigh down to keep submerged. After they're pickled you can use whole or puree to make sauce (use fermenting liquid to assist puree and get desired consistency. Sauce tastes a lot like tabasco and lasts for months in the fridge
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tony1991 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Yes. You can pickle any member of the capsicum family. I have done this with birdseye chillies. Place whole in jar, add brine (1TSP salt to 1 cup of water) to cover and weigh down to keep submerged. After they're pickled you can use whole or puree to make sauce (use fermenting liquid to assist puree and get desired consistency. Sauce tastes a lot like tabasco and lasts for months in the fridge
    absolutely!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I've done it. I cut jalapeņos into rings (cross-sections), put them in a prep bowl, coated them with salt, and let them sit for a while. Thein I put them and enough water to cover them in a mason jar, which I left under a towel on the counter for a few days. They developed a nice fermentey/yeasty smell. I ate them on nacho-style meatzza and suffered no ill effect. Well, aside from the typical next-day effects of massive jalapeņo consumption.

jfaw1124 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys! After peril's post I did mine in rings and added some minced onion and garlic to my jars, then brined them. No real activity yet, but hopefully they'll start fermenting soon. Thanks!