Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoothies. Stopped a few years ago. page 2

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    You may find fruit problematic in a smoothie for you, but I can quite happily manage a banana and some strawberries in with my unflavoured, unsweetened whey protein and continue to lose weight despite daring to consume some fruit.

Not everyone does well with carbs, and for those folks, maybe a smoothie is a bad idea, but some of us handle them just fine and don't see a banana as some sort of terrifying fat-producing monster.
    +1.

I have them about twice a week for breakfast, no weight loss issues. I also have a banana a day. Helps keep my thyroid happy. Shrug.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I have been having smoothies lately with a little bit of coconut milk, water, spinach, kale, frozen banana, frozen cooked sweet potato, and a raw egg. Or coconut milk, water, greens, frozen avocado, and frozen berries.

Nice to change up breakfast in the summer... I'm getting sick of them already, though.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    My hot morning smoothie is 1 banana, 4 eggs, 6 or 7 frozen strawberries and a small handful of frozen Booblerries. I add some Vanilla extract and coconut milk to fill the blender half way and add water to adjust thickness. if you feel like it, use cold coffee as liquid. very nummies.

I tried it with bacon but it does not blend well, does that mean it is not primal?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

warrdogg is offline Member
    I usually have a smoothie a few times a week. Water, coconut milk, 1/2 a frozen banana, some frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), handful of greens, Tbsp of coconut oil, and a scoop of whey.

I guess I could eliminate the whey, but I usually have the smoothie after my workout. I have always cut the banana in half as I find it's too sweet with the whole one. I buy 3-4 of them, cut them in half, and throw them in a bag and put them in the freezer, so I have them on hand when needed.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    OMG, where did you find - Booblerries. - ?!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I use green smoothies to get greens into me. I don't put more than three ounces of berries in, some almond milk (1/2 cup) and some sweetener if the berries are too tart.

I prefer to eat this later in the day. Well, I prefer to eat everything later in the day, but this can be my "midnight" snack as it were.

Supercell is offline Junior Member
    Yeah smoothies just aren't right without the sweetness and I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners so I have ditched them like you. You could try a fatty smoothie with coconut milk and or cream in though, that might be tasty!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I have a smoothie a few times a week- frozen berries, banana, greek yogurt and some nut butter. It's what, 2 serings of fruit and some good fat and protein. Keeps me full half a day.

I will say, I stopped at a smoothie place assuming I could make one like mine.... yeah, those are sugar and soy bombs.... fat free frozen yogurt and soy, soy, soy.....

But for me, 4 primal foods whirred in a blender= a primal meal.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I still do savory smoothies. My favorite right now includes:

-Tomato (only about 10-15% of the entire smoothie)
    -Onion
    -Garlic
    -Cuke
    -Celery
    -Jalapeno
    -greens of some sort (usually spinach or kale, but whatever is about to bolt in my garden)
    -water (till I'm happy with the consistency)

I find that chilling this and drinking it in the heat of the summer to be very refreshing. I no longer do the fruit smoothies for the reasons you hint at. SUGAR BOMB OF DOOM!

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
    Yeah smoothies just aren't right without the sweetness and I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners so I have ditched them like you. You could try a fatty smoothie with coconut milk and or cream in though, that might be tasty!
    FOr my birthday last year, my wife made a smoothie "ice cream" for me that was coconut, blueberries, and wild strawberries. Blend the coconut, add in frozen berries. BAM, yummy primal dessert.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast