Thread: Lamb Curry (for people with things to do other than cooking) page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Lamb Curry (for people with things to do other than cooking)

Lamb Curry

There's probably a fancy name for this, but it's Lamb Curry whichever way you slice it ... simple Lamb Curry.

I'm going to use a lamb leg, butterflied, which means it's taken off the bone and opened out. Leg is a good, fatty cut and loves slow-cooking.

Pressed for time as I was, I simply immersed the leg in water and pushed it into the oven set to 150C for three hours while I got about my day.

That's the meat cooked - the curry itself comes together quickly when you're ready to eat.

The curry ...

Begin by shredding an onion and get it softening in some butter or ghee. This process takes about half an hour and should be done on a low, slow heat ... not to be rushed.

As they begin to soften and change colour, sprinkle over the spices: ground coriander, ground cumin and turmeric. How much? Enough! I go with maybe a tablespoon of each over a large onion. I'm guessing, because I just sprinkle it over.

Once the onions are softened and caramelised, transfer them to a receptacle for blending (or into the blender if you have one) along with some cloves of garlic, some ginger and a few chillies. How many? Enough! Maybe 4-6 cloves of garlic for a 2 pound piece of meat, a thumb of ginger and as many chillies as you like heat.

Blend together to a paste.

Retrieve the lamb leg from the oven and chop it up roughly.

In a heavy saute pan, begin browning the meat in some more ghee or a little coconut oil.

Pour over the paste and stir in, frying it off lightly.

Pour over water, chuck in a couple of bay leaves, some sea salt (preferably Indian black salt) and some white pepper.

Let it simmer and reduce ...

Once reduction is well on its way, pour in some chopped tomatoes. Not too much - just enough for bulk, a little sweetness to offset the bitterness of the turmeric and a little colour. Half a carton is quite sufficient.

Ready to eat?

Serve over cauliflower rice, white rice (if you're Primal, Paleo+, Beyond Paleo, or whatever the term ... and happy to do so) or alongside some mashed sweet potatoes. I went for white rice boiled in bouillon, then fried off with mushrooms as a pilau.

You can see from the pans that I like a little rice as a bed and a lotta meat

Oh, did I mention the health benefits of turmeric? You can google that one for yourself ...
    Last edited by pjgh; 07-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Oh my, that looks so good! I'm hungry now!

More stuff for my shopping list...thank you!

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    This looks and sounds scrumptious. It is going into my cookbook files.

I do a lot of Indian cooking and make a kheema with ground lamb and much the same blend of spices, including the onion, garlic, and ginger paste. I use tomato sauce instead of tomatoes, and add nutmeg, mace, and a bit of plain yogurt also (one tablespoon per pound of meat).
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    That looks like a really nice recipe. I think many people get put off cooking Indian food as they think you need loads of ingredients. I think I've got everything in my kitchen to make this, just need to get some lamb and i'll be trying this one out.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

I was really pushed for time on Sunday - all sorts of things to do, but wanted a really nice evening meal. This fitted in well, hence the title: for people with things to do other than cooking. You can put the lamb in, get it cooked, then later cook it with spices and you'll wind up with a curry.

Gary - I'm from Bradford (although I now live in Halifax, I consider myself a Bradfordian) and we have the best curry. We do. The best is cooked simply - meat is cooked, it's added to a fine spice paste and lots more ghee, served out and is always gorgeous. You're right - curry can appear bewildering, but it's just simple meat and a simple spice blend. That's what I set out to say with this method. Make it more complicated as you start to understand the ingredients. For straight-up Primal curry, this hits the mark.

Cheers, all ... I hope I've inspired and shown how easy this kind of food is to make. I mean, if a shepherd out in the slopes of the Hindukush can do this over an open fire, I'm sure we can put it together in our kitchens with relative ease.

Have fun ...