Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-workers Turn Down Fruit page

TheArcaneOne is offline Junior Member

Co-workers Turn Down Fruit

Primal Fuel
    So I thought I'd share a story from work today.

I brought in a basket of strawberries and placed them in the general food area for people to eat. It's now well after lunchtime and it is still mostly full. It amazes me that if people bring in cookies they will be gone before lunch but if you bring in fruit no one wants any. I was talking with a co-worker about it and they said they didn't feel right taking more then a couple strawberries. This same person will take a stack of cookies when they're available though. People never cease to amaze me.

Anyone else have a similar story where they tried to share a healthy snack and no one wanted it?

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    I actually have been the one turning down the fruit in the past, but only because I had already eaten non-fruit items and if fruit goes on top of anything else it ferments in my stomach and the resultant GI upset isn't pleasant for me or anyone around me.

People are funny, though, aren't they? I wonder why the CW didn't "feel right" about taking as many strawberries as she could get her hands on. Did she think they were just to look at and not actually eat?

Perhaps she felt the strawberries were more money than a stack of cookies. Or perhaps she's just trying to rationalize her poor eating habits.

It's very hard to make healthy choices when you have junk staring at you in the face regularly. I can empathize with people having to deal with that.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    You brought strawberries and didn't bring the chocolate fountain? What were you thinking!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's just it. People have low self-esteem and are afraid to grab the gold. You should see me at a buffet. Drinking cup full of blueberries? Check. Plate filled with whatever one Primal thing there was to eat? Check! Feeling bad for making good choices? Not happening.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Admittedly, I don't have many personal stories. What does, however, get my blood boiling is when I see the words "healthy" or "skinny" in the titles of foods on Pinterest. This invariably means one of the following:

1.) Butter or saturated oils have been omitted for either no fats with applesauce/yogurt in place, or for canola oil.
    2.) Whole eggs have been omitted for egg whites, egg substitute or a "flax egg" - barf.
    3.) Cheese or cream have been omitted and yogurt has been subbed in.
    4.) The recipe contains whole wheat flour or oats.

Annoying as hell. My personal favorite was a guacamole recipe I saw that substituted either peas or edamame for avocado. I was like WTF I thought even CW agreed that avocado was healthy? Ugh.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Jorjor is offline Member
    People's utter fruit-phobia makes me wanna tear my hair out sometimes.

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    No...avocado...in guacamole? That makes absolutely no sense!
    Journal

Starting: 207lbs | Current: 176lbs | Mini-goal: 172lbs | Ultimate Goal: 130lbs

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Prepare to be horrified.

I know I preach a low fat lifestyle (hell, I author a fat-free blog!) and that is how I live and eat... but I'm not going to lie. I love avocados and I love guacamole. I figured, if beans can make brownies, there has to be a way to make lower fat guacamole, right? While this guacamole isn't fat-free (soybeans have fat in them) its still low fat and also high in protein. You could try substituting peas for the soybeans for a truly fat-free version.

Low Fat Guacamole Recipe (Edamole) | Happy Herbivore
    Mmm nom nom. I think the lack of B12 and complete protein severely hampers some people's ability to think. I can't make this stuff up. I mean why eat rich, creamy guacamole when we can eat bland, chunky "edamole"? Keep reading. If you hide it between layers of tortilla and beans you won't even notice it isn't the real thing! They sold me. Off to Whole Foods I go to buy hairy, breast-enhancing soybeans.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-23-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I've just come from a birthday "meeting" where the honoree was gifted with two giant cakes and two boxes of cookies. Everybody but me took a slice of cake; a couple of people had two; everybody but me had cookies.

I come back to my desk, run over to the supermarket, come back with my lunch plus a carton of organic strawberries (I was feeling deprived of a nice treat amongst all the gluten eaters), eat a bunch, leave out the rest for people to take as they wish.

Three hours later - nobody has touched them. I agree, CW coworkers are a bit nutty.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast