I've recently come out of the Primal closet, so to speak, to my mother. At first she was excited because she's been doing the same old thing for the past 30 years and has seen no positive results. However, after about 2 days to herself, she comes back to me saying she's read that Primal/Paleo is unhealthy and that she even found a study/research done on this specific diet that proves it's unhealthy.

Has anyone heard of such a study? She can't seem to find it again and I can't find it.

I'm going to put her email here so you can see it in context:

"... after I wrote to you I did some more checking. I found that his cookbook was rated in the top 5 worse cookbooks of 2010. Health officials say this is a horrible diet and not healthy at all. What background does this man have to prove this diet works? Are there studies that show it works? I did find one study that says it does not work and is bad for you. Can't find that study again but below is a review of Mark's book.

Book Review: The Primal Blueprint Below is an excerpt from that review.

"Pros
Where it compares the life of early humans to modern Americans’ lifestyle of arduous commutes to work, hours of digital distractions, and little physical activity, the book makes a convincing argument for better use of leisure time outside of eating and exercising. The diet suggestions it gives are generally a no-brainer: eat a lot of natural foods and avoid processed foods. His urging to try to stick to the diet 80% of the time is also a realistic endeavor for those who agree with its tenets and could result in a lifestyle change as opposed to a time-restricted diet. The exercise suggestions it offers, including low to moderate activity and only short stints of strenuous exercise are also sustainable long term and may help people avoid injury.
Cons
Because Sisson is neither an anthropologist nor nutritionist, his arguments regarding how early humans ate and how people should eat now seem disjointed at times. He makes a good number of extreme statements in the book including associating the advent of grains and civilization with the elimination of selection pressure to reach reproductive age, and suggesting the advice of the USDA, American Heart Association, and American Medical Association has caused, “the destruction of human health.” The book is also heavy on unsupported claims and lacks consistent references for its positions. Lastly, it suggests that counting calories is less necessary despite the fact that countless research has proven that caloric deficit, regardless of the proportion of carbohydrates, fat, and protein, is what results in weight loss."

I will have to do more reserach to convince me to got his route. I like some of the things Mark says like eat as natural as possible. To avoid all grains and beans , at this time, does not sound like a good thing. I'll have to read more and let you know. In the mean time I want to do some sort of change in our easting habits. We're just not sure what that is right now. I will get rid of most of the boxed things in our cupbaord. I like the idea of range feed meat. I'll let you know what I find.

Can you guys help my alleviate my mom's fears? And help me find this mythical study?