Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Quinoa a grain? page

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

If you're not familiar with it, I've provided the definition from wikipedia:

Quinoa (pronounced /?ki?no?.?/ or /kw??no?.?/, Spanish quinua, from Quechua kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a grass. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited.

As you can see, its not classified by CW as a grain... but for the purposes of PB, does it count?

~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member

One cup has 39g of carbohydrates. Not so good.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/c...-pasta/10352/2

shastagirl Guest

my guess is it wouldnt be a wildly popular form of food since it would take a long time to harvest it to sustain oneself and their family, manually with little tools. think caveman food.

Since wheat and rice clock in at 136 and 157 grams of carbs respectively, 36g isn't a big deal.

Besides, I'm asking about the anti-nutrients and such that make grain a bad deal but seeds like pumpkin and almond ok.

The question before the court is, does quinoa count as a grain or seed?

bopp Guest

I've mostly read that it is a seed.

Type quinoa into the MDA search bar in the archives section for some more info and even some recipes if I remember correct.

Here's a start : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alternatives-to-grains-quinoa/

enjoy

Thanks Bopp.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

from what i understand, yes & no. i've had it, & although i don't get the same aches from it that i do from most other grains, i do think it made me break out a little bit.

if you want something a bit crunchy, it's a better choice in your yogurt than granola!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

avocado is offline Senior Member

"Since wheat and rice clock in at 136 and 157 grams of carbs respectively, 36g isn't a big deal."

Really? On the same site:

Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked = 45g

I'm not trying to be picky, but it just looked like you'd gotten a wildly wrong impression somewhere.

I'm interested in your question as well, so I don't have an answer for you on that.

ToddBS is offline Junior Member

It has a bit more fiber than rice I think - which might effectively knock off a gram or two of those carbs but is certainly no reason to seek it out just for that. It also has about twice the protein of rice. And I think it is actually a complete protein - one of the few in the plant kingdom. Personally, I would rate it higher on the list than rice (and certainly any gluten grain), but it would still be on the "use sparingly" list.

Quinoa leaves are also edible as greens, but good luck finding them in any market in the US.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Quinoa is indeed essentially rice with 1 more gram of protein per cup, one more gram of fiber and more micronutrients.

I say that if it has grain-like properties, it should be avoided even if it is not a true grain and even if compared to a lot of grains it is not as harmful. Large bundles of starch aren't very paleo and I know that trying to eat more than half a cup of it at a time would be counterproductive to my health.

I still have a whole bunch from my "health food" store propaganda diet days. I should give it to a food bank or something. It has to be better than Kraft Dinner and peanut butter.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast