Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not losing weight. Need help figuring this out. page

LuluButtons is offline Junior Member

Not losing weight. Need help figuring this out.

Primal Fuel
    Hello! I read the forums a lot but rarely post. I started a journal ages ago but since I write everything down in a book at home it felt a bit redundant.

Anywho, just hoping this community can help me figure things out a bit. I've been primal for almost a year. I am by no means 100% compliant and have good meals and bad meals. Most weeks I'm at about 80-85% compliance.

I'm a creature of habit so I will post what a sample day would look like for me (since 9 out of 10 days look like this!):

Breakfast:
    4 slices of bacon
    small amount of berries (raspberries, blueberries, etc)
    coffee with almond milk and tsp of honey

Lunch:
    Salad (lettuce, cucumber, red peppers, broccoli)
    Dressing of olive oil, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, and spices
    Meat is usually bacon, or leftover from the night before, or sausage (organic, no filler, etc from market)

Dinner:
    Meat of some sort (steak, sausage, pork chop - all from "paleo" butcher)
    Veggies (broccoli, salad, peppers, etc).

Supplements:
    Vitamin D (more in winter months, less in summer months)

For fitness I go to a gym that promotes this lifestyle. I take 3 strength training classes a week (heavy lifting with some conditioning) and for the past 6 weeks have been doing a class twice a week called "this is not a bootcamp" that is a metabolic conditioning class.

Despite all this, I weigh exactly the same as I did a year ago. My clothes fit a bit better, but I'm still carrying excess fat. At 5'6" I weigh 193 lbs. NOT good for a girl of my height. I am by no means trying to weigh 110 lbs but I do need to lose some fat and it doesn't seem to be happening.

HELP!!!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you eating enough? or too much? at 5'6", you're not a tiny girl, and you're pretty active.

i'd cut the processed meat everyday. bacon and sausage are delicious, but i'd focus on fresh meats and fish. i eat bacon once per week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Disclaimer: not an expert, still figuring this stuff out for myself.

A few questions about your menu and exercise:
    1) Are you not much of a breakfast person? How do you feel about eggs?
    2) Is your bacon store-bought (potentially higher in sodium and nitrates/nitrites)? or is it also sourced from the paleo butcher?
    3) How big is your lunch salad? How much meat are you putting on it?
    4) Salad dressings - homemade or store bought?
    5) How big is your dinner portion of meat?
    6) How many hours a week are you exercising?
    7) Are there any "extras" (in terms of diet) that sneak in now and again but are not frequent enough to include in a typical menu?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    where are you carrying your weight? above or below the waist?
    how old are you?
    what if any metabolic disorders have you been diagnosed with?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough? Without seeing amounts, that's hard to tell. But your breakfast looks tiny. Bacon isn't an ideal meat, so I would try replacing that with something else for a while. Try eggs or some other meat. How long are the classes you're taking? Is it possible you are doing too much exercise? Do you get in much slow movement?

How is your sleep? Energy? Have you had your thyroid checked?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Check the ingredients on the almond milk? Maybe something weird in it it?

Otherwise- change up the bacon and eat something more protein rich- like eggs for breakfast or chicken on your lunch salad.
    Measure portions (weigh) and talley up calorie counts on Livestrong.com just to make sure you aren't simply eating too much. I buy bacon that is 120 calories a slice.... and bacon that is 2 slices for 60 calories. Your breakfast could be anything from 120 to 480 calories. You don't have to track calories for ever- just get a ballpark of what you are consuming.

And you said 90%. My question would also be.... is your 10% a day where you have maybe some non-pastured meat, ice cream, a cheat here or there... or is your 90% a day where you go off and eatdoughnuts for breakfast, pizza for lunch, beer and McDonalds for dinner? I can tell when I eat gluten... like I did this weekend- 2 onion rings, a slice of cheesecake. Sharp tummy pains and now I'll be bloated for about a week. I can see how if you have a regular cheat day, you'd stay inflamed despite being good most of the time. I stick to it well, but different cheats for me have different impacts- I can do ice cream and it slows weight loss etc. but anything with wheat just destroys me for a week. My belly is literally is 4" bigger today than last week. If you never fully eliminate an irritating substance, you may not see results.

LuluButtons is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I will try and answer all your questions.

All of my meat is purchased from 2 butchers that have naturally raised, no hormone, nitrate and antibiotic free meats (including bacon). I buy no meat in the store unless I didn't make it to market that week (very rare).

I was eating eggs but I don't really like them that much so got away from them. Before going primal I didn't eat breakfast at all so it's taken some time to get into a routine of eating breakfast but I'm pretty religious about it now.

I carry my weight in my midsection and am 36 years old.

Salad dressings are all homemade.

I have had my thyroid checked and the doctor said it was "normal" (whatever that means) and I have not been diagnosed with any other metabolic conditions or issues.

I exercise 4 or 5 hours a week and try and get in "slow" movement like walking at least a few nights/days a week. I have good weeks and bad weeks depending on how busy I am.

My portions aren't small (nor are they huge). I try and eat until I'm approaching fullness (not stuffed) and then stop. Salads are probably the size of a medium restaurant salad (not the huge monstrosities they sometimes give you).

My 10% varies. It's definitely not a free for all but there is the occasional ice cream, or slice of pizza. I don't designate anytime as a cheat, but sometimes I'm in a situation where I'm eating less than ideal.

To give you an idea of my bodyshape....I'm in the pink tank top.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i see some estrogen dominance issues. when you make it to your routine check up ask for the following

1. checking to exclude hashi or graves. ( not really expecting it, but they are game changers may as well remove them from the running )
    2. check levels of vitamin D, DHEA-s. if they are normal congrats ( vitamin d needs to be above 70) if not then have pregnenolone and progesterone checked.
    3. fasting insulin, not fasting glucose. this is usually done with a colesterol test, but who cares about cholesterol LOL.. as long as the ratios are good.

those 3 sets of test can give you some good info if you are stuck and acting right, and i think you are acting right so lets move beyond personal portion control for just a bit.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

BrodieMN is offline Member
    Good luck. I will be interested in reading more responses.

IMHO, you may have to eliminate cheats I know I had to eliminate cheat days....they caused me to have cravings and eat poorly.

Also, do some research on fasting.

Finally, I am a man and I have heard that it is much harder for woman to loose weight and I wish that weren't the case.

Please don't give up.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    if it were me, i'd track for awhile to double-check my macros. i know it's a pain, but without hard data, you're just flinging spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

do you have a yo-yo history with your weight? that makes weight loss much harder each time you try.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast