Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not losing weight. Need help figuring this out. page 2

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by LuluButtons View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. ....
    I have had my thyroid checked and the doctor said it was "normal" (whatever that means) and I have not been diagnosed with any other metabolic conditions or issues. ...
    depends on the doctor, but mostly it means
    "i checked your TSH,
    and i know it really doesn't mean anything but
    it looks really good against the numbers my big pharma rep gave me"

unless they checked the below they didnt check a damn thing

Thytropin Releasing Hormone CPT Code: 83519; 84999
    Thyroxine (T4) CPT Code: 84436
    Triiodothyronine (T3) CPT Code: 84480
    Reverse T3 CPT Code: 84482
    Thyroxine-binding Globulin (TBG), Serum CPT Code: 84442
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies CPT Code: 86376
    Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody CPT Code: 86800
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

LuluButtons is offline Junior Member
    I do have a yo yo history. My weight was never an issue into my twenties in the sense that if I put on a few pounds I could take off a few pounds quite easily. I was never one to be skinny, but was always a healthy athletic build.

Nearing the end of my twenties I was diagnosed with severe depression and put on a myriad of different anti depressants. I also had the Mirena coil inserted. I packed on roughly 40lbs with these medications and have not been able to lose the weight since. I have however, managed to get myself off the anti-depressants through a combination of primal eating and chiropractic care, and the Mirena Coil has been removed. I have been under chiropractic care since October of last year and it has changed my health (for the better) drastically!

I will start tracking my macros and go from there. I'm due for a check up at the doctor in the next couple of months and I will push for those tests.

I'm just really frustrated. I chose to eat this way both to lose weight AND to move closer to optimal health. I'll never go back to typical eating, but it's still frustrating to not lose any weight. I have been diligent and made this a lifestyle....but I still need to lose this extra fat I'm carrying around. I just feel like a failure because I'm diligently ticking the boxes and it's not having the desired effect. One of the reasons I like this lifestyle so much is that it's not like a diet where I have to count calories, points, etc. I guess tracking for a bit won't kill me though if it can get me on the right track.
    Last edited by LuluButtons; 07-23-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added information

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    You and I actually have similar stats. I'm 5'6", 190, 36 yrs old. From my n=1 perspective, I have to be pretty darn close to 100% Primal or I don't lose. And even Primal indulgences like 86% dark chocolate can stall me if I eat more than a tiny bit. Red wine will also stall me if I have it more than occasionally (even a couple glasses a week can cause a stall). I have to stay away from grains completely - it's not worth even a bite, because not only will it stall me, it'll cause cravings and irritability (both physical and emotional) - sushi rice seems to be an exception, but that in itself is only an occasional indulgence. Your mileage may vary, but since you've said that it's been a year and you haven't really lost anything weight-wise AND your body comp has only minimally changed, I wonder if it might be time to eliminate that 10 or 20% of non-Primal eating and go as clean as possible.

Some people have had luck doing the Whole30 plan to break stalls and identify food sensitivities. I'm actually considering doing this in August myself.

Also - if you're not hungry in the morning, and you're not much of a breakfast person, don't force yourself to eat breakfast just because you think you should. And breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast food" - last night's leftovers can be breakfast too.

Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sorry you are having trouble losing the body fat. But it is well-distributed, and you clearly have a lot of muscle, too. Look at your elbow and your kneecaps - your bones are HUGE. Your skin looks great. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where you may think you are.

I also think a better thyroid work-up is in order.

Not seeing organ meats. My energy goes through the roof and I know I use up more body fat for days after I eat liver. Might try at least getting some liver in there if you're not already.

And, to be honest, in this industrialized world - 100% compliance is not possible. You can do the best you can, but you're probably getting bamboozled by some grocer somewhere, still drinking hormone-disrupting tap water, and breathing car exhaust. This means that your 80% probably translates down to more like 70%. Heck, it means my 95% probably gets downgraded to 80% most of the time. I mean, I eat canned fish! Canned! What I'm trying to say is, shoot for 100% so you are actually more in the 85% range, and you might see better results.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 07-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Sorry you are having trouble losing the body fat. But it is well-distributed, and you clearly have a lot of muscle, too. Look at your elbow and your kneecaps - your bones are HUGE. Your skin looks great. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where you may think you are.

I also think a better thyroid work-up is in order.

Not seeing organ meats. My energy goes through the roof and I know I use up more body fat for days after I eat liver. Might try at least getting some liver in there if you're not already.

And, to be honest, in this industrialized world - 100% compliance is not possible. You can do the best you can, but you're probably getting bamboozled by some grocer somewhere, still drinking hormone-disrupting tap water, and breathing car exhaust. This means that your 80% probably translates down to more like 70%. Heck, it means my 95% probably gets downgraded to 80% most of the time. I mean, I eat canned fish! Canned! What I'm trying to say is, shoot for 100% so you are actually more in the 85% range, and you might see better results.
    finally knifegill and I agree. i knew it woudl happen one day :-)

on the downside. anti depressives MAY indicate a poor brain glucose metabolism.

it is worth removing all sugars for 10 days to see how your energy does. i mean all natural or otherwise. make up for the calories with saturated fats. if your energy or mood improves overall in those 10 days you may be interested in working the ketogenic aspect of paleo.

increase marine animals as you can regardless, you want to repair the damage to your noggin that those meds can cause.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

LuluButtons is offline Junior Member
    Removing sugar won't be difficult. I only have honey in my morning coffee and I could easily give that up since I have never been much of a coffee drinker.

I think I need to get much more strict and eliminate the 10%. I've been at a different bbq every weekend and giving up beer or alcohol has been the most difficult for me. I have cut WAY down but I always seem to convince myself that "life's too short" or whatever other excuse I manage to think up. Now I only have maybe 1 or 2 ciders per bbq....but that's still too much. Time for that to go too.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    When was the last time you took some time off from hard exercising? I know that sounds backwards, but building rest time into your program is important. Take a week or two off from the strength training and just do lots of slow movement. Your body my decide to relax and start releasing fat. It's good to eat satiety, but I agree with tracking as well. I have found with my body that when I switched to "healthy" eating, I dropped calories massively, and ended up gaining weight. I would get really frustrated and start tracking, discovering I was only eatin 900-1000 calories/day. So my body was hanging onto everything I would give it. I have to actively be sure I am eating enough, adding in snacks here or there in order to lose weight. It sounds so counterintuitive, but it's what works. I am still only losing slowly (14lbs in 6 months), but it's coming off and I'm gaining strength.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If there are ANY meds involved here then all bets are off. I gained weight on any SSRI. Don't need them when I eat right, imagine that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I did the Whole 30 in January and he lost about 20 lbs ( I did it to support him and improve my overall health). He then stalled in his weight loss until recently we decided to change a few things 1. he started riding his bike a few times a week, he was already lifting weights and walking, 2. he stopped all snacking 3 we started eating High Fat Low Carb. He immediately started loosing weight. He pretty much stopped eating fruit, which is a big deal for him. Instead we've introduced high fat dairy, cream and cheese. He doesn't feel deprived so it's not hard to stick to eating this way. Since he started eating a high fat breakfast he often isn't hungry for lunch so he skips it. Sometimes in the afternoon he will have a coffee with heavy cream. Its seems like he was insulin resistant and eating the high fat diet changed his metabolism. HFLC for us is much easier than Whole 30, I am loving eating this way.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Extra weight or not, you look great. And you might think you carry it around the middle, but I'd say you're probably more 'pear shaped' which is a natural way for a woman to be. You also seem to carry fat evenly distributed over trunk and limbs. Gradual fat loss might not be as noticeable if its coming off from everywhere at once, and not targeted in one region. You work out...there are muscles in there too

I dont' think Mark ever meant for the 20% to mean "eat whatever you want 20% of the time and still get 100% of the results". The goal is to *aim for 100%* and accept that up to 20% of the time there will be unknown ingredients and circumstances that make 100% impossible. You said:

I am by no means 100% compliant and have good meals and bad meals. Most weeks I'm at about 80-85% compliance.
    I think its also fair to say that your 80-85% is showing results in health, fitness & mood. But it might take that addition 15-20% to affect body composition noticeably.

My suggestion is to aim for 100% compliance for 3 or 4 weeks and see if you notice a difference. Have you done a 21 Day Sugar Detox?

Also, ditch the scale:
    Attention scale addicts
    Attention scale addicts 2

My personal fat loss has been a slow process. But its also not a high priority in my life. I do know that the closer I am to 100% (ingredients and eating habits) the quicker my body changes. I accept that my less than perfect adherence is slowing me down, but life is about more than what size clothes I buy.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast