Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: inuit diet

Hybrid View

In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

inuit diet

Has anyone relied on more of an Inuit diet of only fatty meats? this is an interesting idea to me. My hubby's uncle married an Inuit---they are native and still allowed to hunt whales. Their village will feed/feast on whale blubber after a kill. One thing I've noticed is the amazing skin on these people! Cousin is half Inuit and her skin just glows. She admits they eat a lot of fatty fish.

I certainly don't live an active enough lifestyle to go that way!

I've also discovered that though I try not to, I still push chicken skin and the fat on chops, steaks, etc. to the edge of the plate. I just don't like the taste. I get plenty of fat though.

And, if I ever took part in a whale hunt, I'd most certainly try some of that blubber!

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Has anyone relied on more of an Inuit diet of only fatty meats? this is an interesting idea to me. My hubby's uncle married an Inuit---they are native and still allowed to hunt whales. Their village will feed/feast on whale blubber after a kill. One thing I've noticed is the amazing skin on these people! Cousin is half Inuit and her skin just glows. She admits they eat a lot of fatty fish.
    DO they eat the blubber cooked or raw? I'm quite sure I'd gag on raw blubber....

I eat whale meat a few times a month and sometimes I'll nibble on some whale blubber. It's been pickled in whey and is IMO a great snack. Of course I grew up on it as a kid so to me it's always been just another good food to eat.

And the blubber is best raw, I tried muqtuq in Greenland and it was ok. Great comfort food during winter and has decent amounts of C vitamin in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I eat whale meat a few times a month and sometimes I'll nibble on some whale blubber. It's been pickled in whey and is IMO a great snack. Of course I grew up on it as a kid so to me it's always been just another good food to eat.

And the blubber is best raw, I tried muqtuq in Greenland and it was ok. Great comfort food during winter and has decent amounts of C vitamin in it.
    I've always thought that I'd like to try Hákarl at least once. But I've yet to find an Icelandic deli here in L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    I've always thought that I'd like to try Hákarl at least once. But I've yet to find an Icelandic deli here in L.A.
    An aquired taste. I like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    An aquired taste. I like it though.

Awesome, now I'm really going to try and track some down, thanks.

it's not just the blubber, but all the innards they eat as well.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

You have to eat more than just fatty meats. You need to eat all parts of the animal, including fat, skin, organs, and brains, and Inuit people do eat kelp and some plant foods when they are available seasonally. Also, Inuit people have some physiological adaptations that may help them thrive more on a minimal carbohydrate diet--they have larger livers, for example.

I think you can thrive on an Inuit diet, but you actually have to eat like Inuit people, not just buy fatty meat and think that's adequate to supply your needs.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

“If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal