Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: inuit diet page 6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Most hunters were also gatherers. There is no real contradiction, because if the climate had serious temperature differences, meat/fat formed most of the winter diet; plants and sea creatures formed much of the summer diet. Dried and fermented foods rounded out the diet.
    In respect to the thread...I was responding to JEL's assertions about "mostly vegetable" diets being optimal. As humans we have a long history of eating primarily meat. Doesn't mean you we can't live or even thrive on a large variety in terms of diet, as long as its real food that we are adapted to eating. The point actually was that the majority of wild humans thrive on a meat heavy diet....and when they dont, it is not in favor of vegetables.....its tubers or even some fruit that replace it.

Now that I reread he does say "plant" which doesn't really change the facts of things though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-08-2012 at 08:27 PM.

otzi Guest
    Little known fact: Inuit relied on POTATOES!!! when food was scarce. There is a plant, known as Eskimo Potato, that grows well into the arctic and was dug, stored, and eaten all winter.

Eskimo potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From: Bear Root And Indian Potato–Traditional Medicine or Food Use Raven’s Ruff Stuff And Other Things Native
    Food Use: Like garden parsnips, the roots of Indian potato are sweetened by frost. The plump fall or spring roots can be washed and eaten raw like carrots, grated into coleslaw, sliced and stir-fried, steamed as a dinner vegetable, simmered in stews, or added to boiled dinners. Try tatercakes when camping, serve them as a breakfast pancake, or as a supper potato substitute.

Dena’ina Athabascans feed the softened roots to infants who lack mother’s milk. The food is an important staple, which is stored in quantity in underground food caches. The Dena’ina refer to H. alpinum as k’tl’ila meaning “rope,” an apt description of the root that grows to two feet long. H. mackenzii is ggagga k’tl’ina, which translates as “good food for bears.”

Interior Athabascans gather Indian potato in fall and store the roots, mixed wish fish oil and Rubus chamaemorus berries in cellars for winter use. Flora Kokrine, an Athabascan born in Tanana, Alaska, favors roots fried in oil. Elder Howard Luke of Nenana says he adds the roots to moose soup.

Kobuk River Eskimos crush H. alpinum root, called ‘masru’ and use as butter. Roots are often taken from mouse holes and replaced with fish or other food. According to Inupiat teachings, masru should always be eaten with oil. Eating the root plain can cause constipation.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sweet! I'm actually looking for a book....like a foragers guide to wild plants in my part of the country. Anybody who knows a good one, I'd appreciate the recommendations.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Where do you live, Neckhammer? Decades ago (seems like centuries), I fell into appreciating one of the first wild fooders, Euell Gibbons. One of his stunts was to take a group of skeptics walking through city lots and harvest a meal's worth of greens. He wrote at least 3 books -Stalking the Wild Asparagus, Stalking the Blue-eyed Scallop, and Stalking the Healthful Herbs. I learned a lot from him, but since moving to a semi-arid mountainous area, find many of my earlier wild foods unavailable. Nevertheless, there are plants outside my home that would spice up a meal of freshly harvested roadkill - deer, moose, elk, wild ponies, mountain goats and sheep, as well as Canada geese, coots, seagulls and other avian life forms. We do have lots of wild berries in a good year, chokecherries, etc.
    I was surprised to find out just how many plants can be harvested above the Arctic Circle. Keep looking.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456