Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: inuit diet page 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Easy whole animals to eat include shellfish.

Actually, the inuit way of eating is impossible for us to mimic. We aren't allowed to eat whales, for one.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Agreed it is ingenious for them ... however, it's of very little relevance to me in the current environment in which I live.
    The OP was about eating as the Innuit did, which is more than just fatty meats. The entire diet is irrelevant to your current diet. Why post something combative in a thread you don't identify with?
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    My response on their skin was in relation to my relatives (who are visiting for a few weeks!) But they talk about some of the older women in their village and how their skin has aged "well." They plan to dry ice mail me some salmon that was just caught on an extensive tribal fishing trip---how awesome!

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    My response on their skin was in relation to my relatives (who are visiting for a few weeks!) But they talk about some of the older women in their village and how their skin has aged "well." They plan to dry ice mail me some salmon that was just caught on an extensive tribal fishing trip---how awesome!
    I have seen plenty of Inuits with not glowing skin, so the fact that your relatives have nice skin doesn't say anything about all Inuits. I have also seen many people on SAD with nice skin, I have seen many Africans with glowing skin and many with not so great skin, same goes for Asians etc.. So I am not sure what connection between their diet and their skin you can make. Where are your relatives from, Russia, Greenland, Canada, US?
    Last edited by KathyH; 07-24-2012 at 04:33 AM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    husbands family is welsh/german

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The Inuit diet exists because they had no other choice - they couldn't go Rosie O'Donnell on a birthday cake from Safeway if they wanted to. We're not so lucky. Enjoy real food and realize apples won't make you fatter than steak.
    Especially the first line, amazing how often that goes conveniently ignored. Don't model your life after people that HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Especially the first line, amazing how often that goes conveniently ignored. Don't model your life after people that HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.
    This is the original 1936 article that started the whole "Inuit Diet" idea. Very good read if you haven't.
    Stefansson 3 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

Here is an excerpt of a summary:

Comments About Stefansson's Conclusions

Some people who disagree with a low-carbohydrate lifestyle are quick to grasp at some of Stefansson's conclusions as evidence the Eskimos' all meat diet was unhealthy. The Eskimos diet cannot be blamed for Stefansson's concluding remarks.

The Eskimos may have appeared to age more quickly than white Europeans for several reasons:

They were exposed to extreme temperature ranges their entire life.

They may have been exposed to excessive smoke from fires in their huts.

They may have been effected by the reduced amount of sun light during winter months.

The life span of the Eskimos would naturally be shorter than that of other societies for several reasons which have nothing to do with nutrition:

The extreme temperature exposure is expected to cause some percentage of deaths.

The hunting and fishing practices are high risk endeavors that cause deaths by accident.

Fluctuations in food supply are known to have caused starvation among the Eskimos.

Infection was a major cause of death for which the people had little understanding.

The Eskimos had many health advantages compared to white Europeans of their day. These health benefits can be clearly credited to their all meat diet, such as:

Perfect dental health. They had no dental caries within the entire community.

Excellent skeletal health without any signs of osteoporosis.

They had no cancer of any kind.

They had no heart disease or cardiovascular disease of any kind.

They had no intestinal diseases that have been reported by Stefansson or others.

They had no Type 2 diabetes because it is caused by eating carbohydrates.

They had no obesity because obesity is caused by eating carbohydrates.

Stefansson found his health suffering after eating a typical American diet upon his return to New York City. He changed back to the low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, regained his health and continued in very good health until his death at the age of 83.

The Eskimos proved that our current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for vitamins and minerals must be wrong. The Eskimos ate an all meat and animal fat diet by eating seal, polar bear, caribou, fox, wolf, whale, fish and bird. Their diet would appear to be low in vitamin C and vitamin K, but they did not develop scurvy or develop illnesses as the result of a vitamin C or K deficiency. The Eskimos proved the current nutritional theory of a "balanced diet" is nonsense. Some Eskimo tribes ate primarily polar bear, others primarily seal and others primarily salmon. The most healthy diet has the majority of calories coming from meat and natural animal fats while avoiding carbohydrates.

The ice has always melted at the shoreline in summer along Northern Canada and Alaska. That is why explorer tried to search for the Northwest Passage, a route that was ice free around Northern Canada. The passage is never fully open, but an icebreaker has made the trip from Greenland to Alaska. The Franklin party comprised of two shipped tried to find the passage in 1825. They knew they would be trapped in the ice all winter and prepared for it with their guns, food and lime juice for vitamin C. They all died anyway from scurvy, a disease caused by vitamin C deficiency. The nearby Eskimos would wave to the men on the ships as they went about their daily routine hunting seals, raising babies, taking care of old people and feeding their dogs. They had no guns and ate a 100% meat diet. Professional nutritionists will tell you meat has no vitamin C. That is just another example of brainwashing.

Humans would quickly die on a diet of all fruit or all carbohydrates. Humans would suffer multiple nutritional deficiencies and diseases on a diet of all grains, legumes or rice. Humans live wonderfully healthy on a diet of all meat and natural animal fats which includes the organ meats.

Primitive societies that switched from being primarily meat eating hunters to becoming primarily grain eating farmers suffered a sharp decline in health as proven by multiple studies. The ancient Egyptians are a very good example proving that carbohydrates from whole grains and fruit are disease causing.

Vitamin and mineral food count books cannot be trusted to give the correct amount of vitamins and minerals contained in various foods. Meat is typically ignored as a recommended vitamin or mineral source in favor of fruit and vegetables. In truth, red meat, fowl, fish and sea food are packed with vitamins minerals, essential fatty acids and essential amino acids. Vitamin B12 is only found in meat. When explorers discovered the North American Indians and Eskimos, they found them to be in excellent health even though their diet consisting almost entirely of meat. Nutritionists of the day and modern nutritionists cannot concede the fact that these people did not suffer from scurvy because of a deficiency of vitamin C as expected. The explorers found that fresh meat and pemmican not only prevented scurvy but it cured scurvy in those already suffering from the disease. The Indians and Eskimos lived in excellent health on an all meat diet. The Eskimos that lived in Northern Canada on the Mackenzie River delta ate a diet almost entirely of salmon, caribou and seal. The North American Plaines Indians lived primarily on pemmican, a mixture of lean buffalo meat, dried, shredded or pounded fine and mixed with melted fat. The fat was half internal hard fat and half external soft back fat. This diet grew tough, strong and perfectly healthy children. The content was 80% fat on a calorie basis contrary to the erroneous statements made in numerous books that the Indians ate lean meat. These writers came to this hasty conclusion because buffalo flesh is more lean than beef. The Indians added 50% fat on a volume basis to make the pemmican. The Hudson Bay Company and North West Company (fur trappers and traders) purchased pemmican from the Indians by the ton to supply the fur trappers. The United States Government later moved the Indians to reservations where the Government provided them with grain, flour and sugar as food, instead of meat. The high-carbohydrate diet supplied by the Government destroyed the health of the Indians causing an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer that continues to this day.

For centuries the Eskimos lived on the Arctic ice north of Canada in the winter (not summer) spearing seals through their breathing holes in the ice. The diet of the people and dogs was 100% seal meat and seal fat. The diet was about 80% fat and 20% protein. Their carbohydrate intake was zero, none. They did not have any problem maintaining the level of blood sugar. Dietary carbohydrates (glucose) is not needed for the brain, heart or any other body organ. The body can make glucose from fat and protein. The level of blood sugar is maintained perfectly well naturally.

The pregnant Eskimo woman would give birth to a baby. The mother's milk would be just like the milk of all human mothers, 58% fat, 12% protein and 30% carbohydrates (lactose or milk sugar). As the infant became completely weaned by age 2 the child's diet became 80% fat, 20% protein and zero carbohydrates. This diet grew tough, strong and perfectly healthy children.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    husbands family is welsh/german
    Are you referring to your Inuit relatives?

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Otzi, In reply to the above, you have a lot of misinformation there. It is well known that the Inuit often had frequent nosebleeds - this was noted by many arctic explorers - not usually a sign of good health :-). Also it was well known that the Inuit and other northern people suffered from osteoporosis - and autopsies of pre-contact Inuit show this. These also showed narrowing or blockages of the arteries.
    Vitamin B12 is not just found in meat by the way, although I assume you meant to say animal products.
    I really don't believe, from my experince with the Inuit, that any of them lived on an all meat diet. Yes for a good portion of the year they would have but if you have ever been in a remote settlement in the Arctic in the spring or summer, you will see people spread accross the landscape picking berries, digging roots etc. They also ate the stomach contents of caribou, as well as sea vegetables when able to harvest them. In additon there were certain mosses and lichens they would add to their pots when they boiled fish. Many of the Northern people still live a fairly traditinal diet esp in the remote areas as 'white food' is just too expensive to eat all the time. Look up the cost of food in some Northern communities like frobisher bay.
    The plains Indians did not eat primaily pemmican. This was a survival food they used in the winter when they could not get wild game. They ate fresh meat whenever they could get it. They also ate lots of roots, wild spinach etc. They dried a lot of the meat. When it ran out they survived on Pemmican which they also used to eat when travelling/hunting. Pemmican by the way almost always had dried berries mixed in (at least the local tribes I am familiar with- although much of the stuff sold to the whites didn't)
    There was a chief of one of the local Stoney tribes near Calgary who died about 10-15 years ago. He was 105 IIRC. He ate primarily a traditional diet - said he tried white man food for a while but didnt like it and went back to tradtional food. He explained what he ate and it was primarily meat based, there was a fair amount of vegetation/berries as well.
    A little known fact re Stefansson, the diet he was on in the hospital during his one year experiment was supplemented by his doctors because they feared malnutition. IIRC there were 4 things they supplemented with - I don't recall what but magnesium seems to ring a bell.
    You may want to look up the autopsies - they make for interesting reading.
    Cheers
    J

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Otzi, In reply to the above, you have a lot of misinformation there. Cheers
    J
    No doubt. Just wanted to post it since it is kind of ground zero for the inuit diet. I live in northern Alaska and know what food is available. I'm sure that the first people to migrate into, and settle in, these northern regions, picked and preserved berries for winter use. There is also a mouse (lemming?) up here that creates sizeable food caches of seeds which the Eskimos robbed and ate in Winter. Also seaweed, kelp, and dried mushrooms would have been easily gathered and stored for winter use.

I can't imagine a tougher life than what these guys lived! One thing that always amazes me is the teeth of ancient northern people. I've seen dozens of skulls unearthed at various burial sites and they all exhibit perfect teeth and bone structure. In the older people, the teeth were worn down to nubs, but there was no evidence this caused pain or problems. Also, the alignment of the teeth was amazing. No overbites, underbites or crowded teeth we see today.

For me, the takeaway is: You can survive on a diet of all animal, but a diet that includes lots of good vegetables and fruits in addition to quality animal products is far more desireable.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast