Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: inuit diet page 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have to say that the inuit in middle age or older don't look young for their age at all in the documentary photos that I've seen, though I don't doubt their fitness levels.

There are groups that fare much better on a more balanced diet that is high in fatty fish as well as plenty of fresh vegetables such as the Mediterraneans and South-East Asians.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Has anyone relied on more of an Inuit diet of only fatty meats? this is an interesting idea to me. My hubby's uncle married an Inuit---they are native and still allowed to hunt whales. Their village will feed/feast on whale blubber after a kill. One thing I've noticed is the amazing skin on these people! Cousin is half Inuit and her skin just glows. She admits they eat a lot of fatty fish.
    When you say "One thing I've noticed is the amazing skin on these people", who are you referring to when you say these people? Your family members or all inuits?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Inuit also ate gut contents, particularly of caribou, to get vegetation into their diet. Ptarmigan dropping soup was another one I remember being told about, and thinking "no thanks". Its ingenious though, because they are getting vegetation that would otherwise be indigestible in a form that is digestible, thanks to the animal it came out of.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Inuit also ate gut contents, particularly of caribou, to get vegetation into their diet. Ptarmigan dropping soup was another one I remember being told about, and thinking "no thanks". Its ingenious though, because they are getting vegetation that would otherwise be indigestible in a form that is digestible, thanks to the animal it came out of.
    Agreed it is ingenious for them ... however, it's of very little relevance to me in the current environment in which I live.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cookiemonster is offline Member
    Owsley Stanley the "acid king" seemed to have did ok on a pretty strict meat diet-looked good in his old age -died as a result of a car wreck-not coronary heart disease. Yea think about it

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    whole animal is eaten, not just the meat and fat

interesting idea, but i don't really wanna try eyeballs
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I have to say that the inuit in middle age or older don't look young for their age at all in the documentary photos that I've seen, though I don't doubt their fitness levels.
    To be fair, a lot of the skin deterioration you see is climate related. I don't live as far north as Inuit people do, but even here, the cold, dry winter winds are hell on the skin. Adaptation and dietary fat intake can only do so much.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

My grandfathers are currently aged 89 and almost 95. My older grandfather has recently been admitted to a nursing home after the doctors finally diagnosed dementia from their precious brain scans, family members having recognised the warning signs years ago.

Still I am very pleased that my Grandpa has finally been placed in a suitable home. He has lived semi-independently until very recently. He has some amazing stories to tell as a world-war two veteran. His brother lost his life as a fighter pilot during the second world war.

Have to say my Grandpa is a fighter as he was issued the last rights around aged 10 when he contracted TB and the doctors wrote him off. Ha ha! He has survived several heart attacks in his senescence during which his heart stopped beating for several minutes. I can only have admiration for such a strong will to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the skin deterioration you see is climate related. I don't live as far north as Inuit people do, but even here, the cold, dry winter winds are hell on the skin. Adaptation and dietary fat intake can only do so much.
    Agreed - there is nothing like the sun.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I do my best to eat the whole animal. Liver, kidney, heart, tail, sweetbread....the only thing I don't think I've eaten is eyeballs, brains, or testicles. I believe it to be vitally important even if you have convinced yourself you can replace these with substantial quantities of plant matter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast