Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if your diet was 80% fat? page

Deniece is offline Junior Member

What would happen if your diet was 80% fat?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone been eating a diet that is 80% fat? What side effects have you been experiencing?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    It seems a bit unbalanced to me... balance does a body good. Why do you want your fat intake at 80%?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    80% fat in volume? calories?

When you track nutrients, even eating lean cuts of meat, you can take in more fat than you imagine. I only track calories, protein and carbs, and I eat lean meats with my major fat sources being eggs and avocado. I also don't use pressed oils except in spray form and those are rare times. Even so, my fat intake usually falls into the 40-50% of calories range.

In some of the online reading, Mark advocates about 100 gms of fat/day - that's 900 calories.

A person eating 1200 cal/day can't do it logically.
    1800 cal/day - doable.

Some of the more fit men on this board eat a lot and are probably easily getting that hundred grams.

stumprrp is offline Member
    I bet you would lean out and gain some muscle. Ive been upwards of 70% and although its fairly difficult to do it certainly helped me lean out. Just putting some kerrygold on your veggies at every meal can be like 40g of fat!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It mostly depends. I've been higher than that, but ketosis is not my friend. Even adding carbs back in, I'm probably close, but that's due to how much I eat.

Deniece is offline Junior Member
    In a previous post I asked whether primal could help a person of normal weight loose loose weight. Someone shared that it would be more difficult for me than an overweight person. I was doing some reading online about people eating a diet that is 80% fat and thought that it would be a good option for me. I am 22 years old, 5'7.5'', and 132 pounds. I just want to loose the 12 pounds that I gained during college. I am entering grad school as a physics student and expect to gain more weight since I will be spending long hours in lab, class, studying, and being a teaching assistant. (I will not have time to exercise) Therefore, I would like to loose the 12 pounds with the expectation that it could possibly return over the next 5 years of my program. I would rather this happen, than to gain 12 additional pounds of fat and become 144 lbs. Honestly, the weight does not bother me, it is just the distribution of the fat. I have a very small waist (US size 4) and huge upper thighs and calves making my pants a US size 8. But my body was never this disproportionate before my undergraduate years.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    A diet of 80% fat would be a diet composed of huge quantities of isolated oils and other processed fats. There is no way you can get a diet anywhere near 80% fat in nature, which is why I hate seeing people guzzle oil. Remember, oil is a processed food. Our ancestors didn't have access to coconut oil, lard, tallow and olive oil. They ate coconuts, boar, buffalo and olives. A diet of ~40% calories from fat is far more likely because if you're eating fatty meats you're also getting large quantities of protein with the fat. Even a diet of nothing but rib meat, which would be extremely unnatural, wouldn't get you near 80%.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Kerry Ann is offline Member
    If you google ”Atkins fat fast” your can see menus of 90 percent fat and go from there.. You would deff lose weight, add long as your calories are lore...

Jorjor is offline Member
    That would...not be good, lol

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually, it's fine. I do it for days on end sometimes. Bacon, avocado, eggs, canned coconut milk and fistfulls of greens cooked in drinkable puddles of tallow can easily mean 80% of my calories are from fat. Fitday often calculates it at around that, not that I trust fitday too much. It's just my go-to because it's easy. But I do get similar numbers from paleotrack, so maybe it's closer to correct than I think...

And no, no trouble here. Think nutrient density. A little liver in there, some greens, a few nuts, got my bases pretty well covered. Protein stays high, too.

I'm also seeing that it's easier to stay at a higher fat % on light eating days.

Random day last month I hit 80%. Data got scrambled. Too bad. Ratios are there, foods are listed.

Food Name
    Amount
    Unit
    Cals
    Fat (g)
    Carbs (g)
    Prot (g)
    Delete
    Total
    Olives, green

Bacon, cooked

Duck, cooked, skin eaten

Egg, whole, raw

Fat, beef tallow

Total

Fat (80%) Carbs (3%)
    Protein (17%) Alcohol (0%)
    Last edited by Knifegill; 07-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast