Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle: the end of mashed potatoes page

Bane is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I had the funniest thing happen last night. I've been eating according to the PB for a few weeks now (and LOVING what it's doing for me). I've slowly made small changes to what my family eats, but some things like mashed potatoes with our chicken and salad supper are hard to let go of.

So last night I plopped a bowl of "new potatoes" on the table beside the regular ones. The new ones aren't potatoes at all, but mashed cauliflower with butter and a small amount of shredded cheese on top. (I know, the cheese, but I'm trying to ease them along - heh)

I have two daughters, 7 and 9. The youngest said she'd try them with no fighting, but the oldest pressed me about whether or not they're actually potatoes, and she turned her nose when I said they were actually cauliflower.

Fast forward to the end of the meal, and the little bugger is eating the mashed cauliflower off of my plate when I'm not looking! Between the 2 girls and I we polished off an entire large one, and they were asking for more. The potato bowl was basically untouched.

I had expected an epic battle, but it was hilariously easy. There are now a couple more cauliflowers sitting in the fridge!!

Actually it was the first time I've made it for myself, too. I always ate lots with cheese sauce in the past, but man, mashed up with some butter and a little pepper on it... let's just say I will NOT be missing potatoes.

Thanks to the food posts on this site for this, and a few other discoveries yet to be tried.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Yep mashed cauliflower is Delicious!! Add a little bit of stock (beef/chicken/whatever you're cooking) along with the butter and salt/pepper, and it's even better.

Roasted cauliflower is really good too, just cut up into florets, spread out on a baking sheet, drizzled with EVOO, sprinkled with salt and pepper...roast at 400 for about 20 minutes, flip everything, 20 more minutes YUM! Also works with broccoli (just reduce your cooking time a bit). And brussel sprouts...mmm roasted veggies...

And now I'm rambling and hungry

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

RavunJM is online now Junior Member

We recently started to roast our carrots with evoo and a little salt(so good!). I will try broccoli and the cauliflower this week, thanks for the suggestions!

shastagirl Guest

yummy! ill try this out!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I made an attempt at mashed cauliflower and the texture was, well, like mashed cauliflower. The taste was decent, but nothing at all like mashed potatoes. Perhaps b/c I had thrown out our food processor (it died) and keep forgetting to buy a new one so I had to hand mash it. *shrugs*

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ravun I did roasted carrots for a stew recipe this weekend, and the crispy ones tasted like candy! So good I roasted carrots and parsnips that day, parsnips are interesting I guess.

kennelmom, mashed cauliflower should really be called whipped cauliflower, it works so much better to use the food processor! I tried to make it with a ricer once, and it just did not turn out very well. Add enough butter in there and it will definitely taste like mashed potatoes

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maba is offline Senior Member

Awesome Bane! Your daughters are real grokaroos.

That reminds me, it's been ages since I've cooked cauliflower. My fridge smells really funky when I store cauliflower and it's so difficult to eliminate the odor. Anyone else noticed this?

I apologize for the threadjack.

furious.silverback is offline Junior Member

mmm roasted veggies...the other night..we had parsnips, turnips, brussel sprouts, bell peppers and red onion..with EVOO, salt and lemon pepper...love the red onion roasted...throw it in the oven for about 25 minutes at 425..then I toss em under the broiler for about 5-10 minutes to get a little crispy burnt crust on em..

mashed cauliflower in the food processor is pretty good as well..

FairyRae2 Guest

For a dairy free option, add blended (full fat of course) coconut milk in place of butter/milk, along w/ salt and pepper. Cauli-coconut mashed 'potatoes'. Delish! My dh who doesn't LOVE coconut doesn't really notice it and really likes these...

Bane, that's totally awesome a/b your girls! Primal eating is yummy!!! One of my son's faves is mashed cauli! YUM!

teamommy is offline Member

I make cauliflower fried "rice" with mushrooms in place of our rice at dinner. The kids looked at it strangely the first time but they loved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast