Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo while travelling page

cayla29s is offline Senior Member

Eating Paleo while travelling

Shop Now
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to Europe with my family in law in about 2 weeks. We are going to be staying in my in laws house and I know that my mother in law will doing a lot of the cooking. They have just recently heard about my new way of eating and they are not too understanding about it. My father in law thinks it kinda stupid that I don't eat grains and he already said how it is the best thing you can eat. Anyway I don't see a point of making arguments about the way I eat because he is really not going to listen knowing that way that he is. MY MIL asked what I will be eating in Europe and my father in law said that I will just have to eat what comes my way. I was a bit miffed about that comment but whatever.

Today I had lunch with them and he made fish with breading. This is fine on occasion. Sometimes they would have a choice of meat which I can eat but at times it's drizzled with non paleo stuff like dairy which I cannot have at all. The sides are usually salad with veggies and some type of legume. Even today, I have said many times that I'm lactose intolerant and my MIL made granola parfait with greek yogurt plus berries sweetened with xylitol. Sometimes it's jello or pudding.

Anyway I don't have an issue eating non paleo stuff once in a while but one thing I really cannot tolerate is dairy. I think they believe that I'm just being picky. Since I will be with them for 2 weeks I really don't know what kind of food she is going to be making. I don't expect anyone to bend over backwards for me but I also don't want to be rude to my hubby's family. When I get there I plan on going to the grocery store and maybe buy some extra veggies and some fruit. I also bought some sea snax, bars, and im baking some paleo biscuits and muffins and check it in my suitcase (I think I can do this). I have already mentioned to MIL that I'm bringing my snacks..what do I put my name on the container. I have nieces and nephews coming and I'm hoping they won't touch it. We are going to be touring most days I just need some food that's not going to make me feel like crap.

I guess I'm sort of venting and asking how you guys work around a situation similar to mine. I've been paleo now for a month and it's been going great.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Anyway I don't have an issue eating non paleo stuff once in a while but one thing I really cannot tolerate is dairy. I think they believe that I'm just being picky.
    Are you lactose intolerent? Our comsumption of butter and cream skyrocketed when we made the switch (we currently go through 4L of cream a week).

Honestly, I would bend on everything but the wheat. And supplement with fruit and vegetables, as you are planning on doing.

Most people can understand eating whole foods as being a healthy choice.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Are you lactose intolerent? Our comsumption of butter and cream skyrocketed when we made the switch (we currently go through 4L of cream a week).

Honestly, I would bend on everything but the wheat. And supplement with fruit and vegetables, as you are planning on doing.

Most people can understand eating whole foods as being a healthy choice.
    I use ghee. It's hard to explain but I can have x amount of dairy without getting bloated or gassy. For example, I can have skim milk with coffee but I can't drink milk on its own. I can't have cottage cheese, regular ice cream or yogurt otherwise I will be farting all night..lol! Honestly since I removed dairy from my diet at least 3 years ago I haven't had any issues with bloating and gas. It's just when my in laws make sauces its made with regular butter and cream.

I think my in laws can understand the veggies and fruits but when I start refusing things containing dairy, wheat or legumes then they have an issue with it.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Guess I just don't understand why anyone should feel the need to eat foods that make them sick to avoid getting attitude from others. Personally, my health is more important than someone's feelings. You can bet these same people wouldn't eat problematic foods to please others~

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I don't know which part of the EU/non EU Europe you're going to as you don't say.

I think your parents in law are being really difficult. American processed food has GM ingredients and banned additives so you won't find it in the EU unless reformulated. Nor will you find American cheese because of the bovine growth hormones. However you will find, all over Europe a huge variety of food. It won't all be additive free unless organic and in Italy there will be hectares of pasta.

In the UK you'll find dairy free milk, cheese and yoghurt and gluten free stuff no probs. Almost all supermarkets now have a Free From section. Look for Lactofree, alpro and Provamel brands too. In London there are organic supermarkets eg Whole Foods, Planet Organic, Daylesford Organic and you'll find organic food at Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco and in more limited amounts at ASDA, Morrisons and Lidl.

GM ingredients have to be labelled so do irradiated foods and as Europeans don't like either you probably won't see any.

You'll find ghee in tins in the bigger branches of Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons and in branches with big ethnic populations as well as in Indian/Muslim stores.

I don't think it's worth making your own snacks in case they are confiscated at customs.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Would it be possible to indulge here at your in-laws house, and then get noticeably sick? Preferably, before an event, and be doubled over with cramps, so that you can't go, causing much concern on your husband's part. Maybe a little vomiting. Sometimes seeing the results in action (especially if there is splatter) makes it more real for others.
    Europe has good food purity laws, so as soon as you land, hit a good grocery store, and stock up on jerky, canned fish, etc. Pick out what you can't eat, add your emergency protein, and just dare them to say anything. Make yourself lots of hard-boiled eggs. Get your husband to stand up for you, too. The child of the in-laws should always run interference for their spouse.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    A bit of perspective, for what it is worth. I have Celiac disease, so I get no options. Wheat is poison to me, and I get revoltingly ill. I make my own food. Since you don't want to feel like crap for two weeks, I recommend taking a really hard line on this. You have already irritated your father in law, so what is there to lose? Simply buy a cheap pan when you get there, some eggs, bacon, burger, etc. and make your own food when you are hungry. When dining out, get a grilled meat and veggie. If you don't take this seriously this time around, neither will they. If you put your foot down politely but firmly, and remain dedicated to your own health, they will learn to respect it. And this will set the tone for further family situations, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I don't know which part of the EU/non EU Europe you're going to as you don't say.

I think your parents in law are being really difficult. American processed food has GM ingredients and banned additives so you won't find it in the EU unless reformulated. Nor will you find American cheese because of the bovine growth hormones. However you will find, all over Europe a huge variety of food. It won't all be additive free unless organic and in Italy there will be hectares of pasta.

In the UK you'll find dairy free milk, cheese and yoghurt and gluten free stuff no probs. Almost all supermarkets now have a Free From section. Look for Lactofree, alpro and Provamel brands too. In London there are organic supermarkets eg Whole Foods, Planet Organic, Daylesford Organic and you'll find organic food at Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco and in more limited amounts at ASDA, Morrisons and Lidl.

GM ingredients have to be labelled so do irradiated foods and as Europeans don't like either you probably won't see any.

You'll find ghee in tins in the bigger branches of Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons and in branches with big ethnic populations as well as in Indian/Muslim stores.

I don't think it's worth making your own snacks in case they are confiscated at customs.
    I'm actually going to Slovenia. From I read in travel books the typical food there is closer to Austrian/German type of food. I'm just basing my concern based on what my MIL normally makes when I go over for meals at her house.

I did check my airline and customs where I am departing and I can bring baked goods and snacks in my luggage its just a question of whether I have enough room for it in my suitcase. I might have to stuff hubby's suitcase too since he doesn't bring very much. Even before I was eating Paleo I normally brings snacks that are healthy when I travel. If it's just me and my hubby then I won't even bring up this concern because he gets it.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    This isn't really a question about what to eat when traveling...its about how to eat around ignorant family members.

1. Do some of the cooking. For everyone. Primal, with grains/dairy on the side for everyone else.

2. Make at least one dish/side at every meal that you CAN eat, and make enough for everyone.

3. Do some research before you go about what your shopping options are in the area you're staying.

4. Accept that it is hard for people to understand your way of eating, especially if you can tolerate "some" non-primal foods. How are they to know what and how much you can tolerate from meal to meal?

5. Eggs, meat, salad, fruit. Eggs, meat, salad, fruit. Eggs, meat, salad, fruit. You'll be home before you know it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I've been to europe several times, and you'll be fine.

First, there is plenty of amazing, fresh produce in Europe. Street markets abound, and you can usually get the most amazing product. One market that we were at in Stockholm had not only fruit and veggies, but breads and sweets, cheeses, meats of all kinds (including dried meats, 'deli style' meats and so on), as well as seafood.

Most of it you can eat straight up, and so instead of going to expensive restaurants for lunches, we would go to the market, grab whatever fruit and veggies floated our boat, and either go to the deli to get meats or just pick them up in the market. In stock holm, DH usually ate cured meats or pickled herring with his veggies. We carried a small pocket knife so that we could do some basic chopping!

Likewise, dinners are relatively easy. If you can, talk to your MIL about volunteering to cook some of the dinners so that everyone can have a holiday. You can make all kinds of delicious, simple primal meals. I know that I do when I travel, so it's easy-as.

And breakfast in our place is always "a spread." We have our various deli and similar meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs, sliced veggies, a fruit salad or fruit slices -- and then offer yogurt, granola, and toast (and the things that accompany) and also tea, coffee and juice (on occasion, we travel with friends).

You could suggest this "simple breakfast spread" because the nice thing is that it can be prepped up the night before and easily placed on the table for breakfast with no one "slaving away." we put all of the individual items on a massive platter or large plates -- meat, cheeses, hard boiled egg halves on one, veggies on one, fruit on one -- and then just put plastic wrap over them. When you are finished, clean-up is a breeze, just pop the wrap on them and pop them in the fridge. That night, after dinner "top up" for breakfast so that all you have to do is place the stuff on the table in the morning.

The only dishes to clean are the ones used for breakfast itself -- which is usually a bowl and plate for each person. And everyone chooses what they want to eat, so it's easy.

This way, you'll have breakfast your way, lunch your way (though most restaurants *do* have paleo or close to paleo options), and then probably every-other dinner your way.

I don't think you need to worry over much. You also might have your *partner* tell *his/her parents* that you are lactose intolerant, not just being picky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast