Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Yogurt--Yuk! page

kjake55 Guest

I tried greek yogurt for the 1st time last night. I was very excited about it and after my workout planned a little meal of GY w/sliced cherries and almonds. I couldn't wait to sit down and chow.

OMG! That has got to be the nastiest tasting stuff I have EVER had.

So I've given up my favorite snack to go, my favorite need something sweet to eat dessert and my lunch time salad companion (was heavily hooked on Dannon Lite 'N Fit) for what I thought was going to be a great alternative...not so much, not ever again!

Does anyone have a suitable substitute? I really like yogurt. And I'm truly at a loss when it comes to something small, quick and easy. Please friends, help!

SullynNH Guest

what brand did you get? I've found quite a difference...the full fat is much better than the lower fat...I've tried Fage, Chobani, Oikois, TJ brand...

JulieD Guest

I like Fage Total, but I can't eat it without some natural sweetner, like stevia. It's very bitter if I don't use something.

Elana Guest

I second the full-fat, and I like mixing in a little bit of unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon. Adds just enough sweetness.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Bitter? I remember the first time I tried yogurt, early twenties, and found it distasteful because was sour, not sweet. I think sour is the word I want; you know, from the conversion of the milk.

I don't have any Greek yogurt experience, so maybe bitter it is.

JulieD Guest

Sour might be a better description. In any case, it's not a taste I find appealing without stevia.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I love greek yogurt and can eat it plain. However, I do now that many people just can not stand it without adding some sort of sweetness to it.

What I found to work very well is to add home-made fruit spreads to it. I make my own strawberry and resberrie jams with no sugar or little bit of honey and just add couple of teaspoons to my greek yogurt.

Some poeple don't like the thick texture that's natural to Greek yogurt, some don't like the sourness.

SullynNH Guest

I like to warm up some fresh fruit (could add some melted butter to the fruit, not sure how that would mix though) and then stir it into the yogurt....can add some vanilla bean too....I agree plain greek yogurt is like trying to eat sour cream straight (which is why its used as a substitute)....try adding some different things and see what works for you...I enjoy kefir too

cc40 is offline Junior Member

I've been eating Oikois full-fat about 3 times a week. Best miv I've found is to take 1/3 cup of it and stir it together with 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, and a pinch of cinnamon. The yogurt nearly freezes and becomes more like a frozen custard!

kjake55 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I bought the Fage 5% full fat yogurt. Sour is a good description of it (downright gross is another) and maybe as a sour cream replacment it has some value but as a snack it won't really cut it. To much prep to make it palatable.

I still haven't tried stevia yet, maybe this weekend when I shop I'll try it. Does it work like sugar or other sweetners? (I'm a splenda person myself.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast