Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keratosis Pilaris (chicken skin :P) page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Keratosis Pilaris (chicken skin :P)

Shop Now
    So, recently I've been gifted with these beautiful lumps and bumps over my upper arms.

As usual, CW says there's no cure etc etc, but I'm sure this must be dietary. Does anyone know what causes it / how to get rid of it? Exfoliating makes it worse.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    vitamin A will be your new best friend. mine improve significantly when i get plenty of A
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    So, recently I've been gifted with these beautiful lumps and bumps over my upper arms.

As usual, CW says there's no cure etc etc, but I'm sure this must be dietary. Does anyone know what causes it / how to get rid of it? Exfoliating makes it worse.
    There can be many different causes for this...Some people say it's a certain parasitic infection of the skin. It could be. Or, it's may the result of inflammation in the body. CW says that what is happening is the skin is producing too much keratin.

For me, what helps the most is staying on a very strict, candida-like diet + avoiding possible toxic cosmetic products (I don't put any lotion on my skin and use soap maybe once or twice a week) + and certain supplements (I used to take Vit A, it didn't help me much, but we're all different). Right now, mine is about 95% cleared, after 2 years of being Primal and a Candida-like diet. Recently, the back of my arms have been very smooth and the red bumps are not as noticeable as they have ever been. The only thing I do now is: Include berries in my diet, lots of meat and healthy fats (EVOO, EVCO, Grass fed beef fat, Ghee), Macadamia nuts, more variety of vegetables & a bit raw vegetable salads (such as cucumbers + radishes + celery + tomatoes). Supplement wise I take Magnesium (150-300mg a day) + Zinc (200 mg zinc & 15 mg copper) + Lysine (500 mg) + Fish Oil (which I believe helps tremendously). I try to get Vit E from foods, such as EVOO + Eggs + nuts (not very often). I've also been sitting in the sun a lot more. So, I guess Vit D as well.

I used to have KP all over my body. Legs, up and down arms, stomach, they were all covered. Now, my arms and stomach are all that is left, and are barely noticeable and are smooth(er). Ever since I started a detox protocol from the guidance of a holistic practitioner + cleaning up my diet, I've seen large and vast improvements. Of course, my health was a lot worse than most people.

Point of all this is: Don't single out a single cause..It could be a blend of things and/or it may be something different with you. Try and experiment with your diet and supplements. If nothing changes within a week to 3 weeks, then change it up and take notes. You'll definitely see some improvements this way.

If you have any more questions about my experience, just let me know.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelli88 View Post
    There can be many different causes for this...Some people say it's a certain parasitic infection of the skin. It could be. Or, it's may the result of inflammation in the body. CW says that what is happening is the skin is producing too much keratin.
    Thanks for the long reply Zelli88. Yeah, I suspect that the reasons people get it are as varied as the reasons they get acne. I'll try your suggestions!

Also adding carrots back into the food plan

sarajacobs is offline Junior Member
    If it is KP, it's genetic and there isn't a cure. However, you can do several things to improve your overall skin health and keep your skin free of bumps and redness. If you don't already, start taking 2 fish oil capsules a day (It promotes healthy skin). Eat a high protein, low carb diet (It hasn't been proven yet, but lots of people are starting to think that gluten has something to do with how often and how bad you get the bumps and redness on your skin).

This may sound weird if you're a guy, but it's very important to exfoliate and moisturize daily. Mind updating us on your progress?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I remember having this as a teenager and my dad told me to rub the area with a towel when I had a shower. It worked! I agree that it could be multi factorial.

You say it's recent - any lifestyle changes lately?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Are you supplementing vitamin k2 and magnesium? Deficiencies in k and magnesium can result in resorption of bone minerals
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    When it comes to any kind of skin issue I think its important to make sure you are getting enough vitamin E in your diet. The best dietary source I know of for vitamin E is sunflower seeds. 4 tablespoons = 100 percent of your daily requirement. Bloodorchid mentioned vitamin A, Derpamix mentioned K and magnesium, Zelli88 mentioned zinc, copper and vitamin E. What food has all of these? Spinach !!

Spinach.jpg

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    yogabare - I sorted this problem with skin brushing. Get a gentle brush from the chemist and always brush the skin towards the trunk. ie legs - start at the feet and brush up, arms - start at the hands and brush towards your shoulders. Skin brushing stimulates the lymph nodes, and helps to detox the skin. Wash the brush after skin brushing. You can do it with wet or dry skin, however I prefer in the shower, and then the dead skin cells drain away !!!

good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    KP runs in my family. I have/had it... some of my cousins have it. My son has it.
    I'm not really sure about those older than us... but I assume some of my uncles have it since I do and my cousins do.

We all have it on our outside upper arms. Pretty textbook KP. Mine is limited to there. I think my son's is too.
    I say that I "have/had" it because since being primal it has become pretty much undetectable.
    Maybe just a slight roughness on occasion, never the really rough and red patchy mess that it used to get sometimes.

When I was younger and wanted to keep it at bay for vanity's sake I used a mild lactic acid lotion like Amlactin or Lac-Hydrin 5 on it every day. Unlike some of the other 'acids' lactic acid isn't so drying.
    You can get the Amlactin at Walmart I believe.
    It simply continuously exfoliates the extra buildup of keratin that causes the bumpiness with a bit of acid... less irritating than scrubbing the already red patches, and moisturizes and softens it too.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast