Thread: Sprouts! page

IntoTheSea is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Does anyone else here grow their own sprouts? I've been looking for cheap alternatives to expensive organic produce, so I decided to give growing my own organic sprouts a try. I purchased an EasySprout off of Amazon (it supposedly makes the process quite a bit easier than the ol' jar method) and a pound of organic sprouting mix (broccoli, clover, alfalfa, and radish).

I was a bit skeptical when I first put my two tablespoons of seeds into the sprouter, but now, about five days later, I have about a pound of the most delicious organic sprouts. I've been using them as a replacement for salad -- they are that tasty. Much better than sprouts from the store.

The bag of organic sprouting mix cost me $11.00 (also from Amazon via The Sprout House), and the seeds seem about 99.9% viable based on my first batch. I figure the entire bag will make for pounds upon pounds upon pounds of sprouts. Plus the seeds themselves last for five years. Not a bad deal...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...so the EasySprout is working well for you? Last time I tried sprouting chia using the jar method, I couldn't rinse the things because the seeds were so small and gelatenous that the water couldn't run back out through the mesh lid.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

IntoTheSea is offline Junior Member

Yup, EasySprout works great -- it has a special insert for tiny seeds. And it doubles as a storage container.

I heard, though, that in order to sprout flax and chia seeds--the more gelatinous, mucilaginous seeds--you need to use a tray or a hemp bag. SproutPeople dot com has a great website that includes special instructions on growing chia sprouts.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey, thanks. I'll look them up!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Wow. Once we get moved to wherever we're going, I'm totally to try this out. Thanks for the info!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com