Thread: Not quite barefoot... yet page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Not quite barefoot... yet

Shop Now
    I took my first walk this morning in very light shoes that weren't "walking" or "running" shoes. Just little rubber maryjane style Crox.

I noticed right away the difference in my relationship with the surface on which I walked. And the different muscles I used. It was cool.

I doubt I'll ever walk city streets barefoot, and those toe shoes are expensive in these parts... $100 to imitate barefoot - kind of like spending an hour putting on makeup to look natural. They are less online, so once my muscles are stronger, I'll probably try them for size in a local store, then order online. Save the 9.5% sales tax also.

As a note, I took a nasty spill on a crack in a sidewalk in March, sprained my left ankle and banged my right knee so hard it swelled up to large grapefruit size. Was totally out of commission for five weeks. I can still feel the left ankle if I walk more than an hour in one stretch.

Anyway, for anyone who is reluctant to walk in non supportive shoes, give it a shot; it's kind of great.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I have been barefoot 80% of the time for over 2 years. And I do wear the VFF when I have to wear shoes, which outside of work, is rare. City streets or stores, I'm usually barefoot.

Once you go barefoot, you never go back. While better than regular shoes, even the minimal shoes cut off the sensory input that you get from going barefoot. This sensory input is a safety feature built into your feet that helps prevent things like ankle sprains.

There is a ton of information, including medical sturdies, here: Society for Barefoot Living Home Page
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    My motto used to be "I am clutz, see me fall."

How many people do you know who can sprain an ankle while standing still on a flat surface?

Anyway, since I stopped relying on big honkin' boots for my ankle support, my ankles have grown strong enough that I haven't sprained one since I first started wearing the toe shoes.

Another idea is to keep an eye on the clearance section in your local running store. We scored Speeds for $50 each.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

texas.grok, I definitely am looking forward to the day when big old clunky shoes are a thing of the past.

Twibble, I used to fall off my platform shoes all the time. But dang, they made my legs look good. I did find another brand on sale available 10 miles out of the city. In a straight line - even I couldn't get lost; I think.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would suggest Dr. Scholl's Fast Flats to start with. They are about $12 a pair at CVS or Walgreens. Crocs of any kind are way too squishy to really help strengthen the muscles for barefoot walking, though if it's just to make the toe-first step a habit, any flat shoe will do.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    cheap water shoes are also a great option for transitioning to barefoot. if they have any sort of insole, just pull them out and you've got nothing more than a thin strip of rubber between you and the ground, but it's enough to protect you from gravel and glass shards. you can usually pick up a pair for between five and ten dollars.

but, getting sized and shopping for vibrams sales online is a good idea. the cheapest i've seen them is during big sales at mountainhighoutfitters.com...but you kind of have to keep checking in for good sales, otherwise they just sell them at full price.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    cheap water shoes are also a great option for transitioning to barefoot. if they have any sort of insole, just pull them out and you've got nothing more than a thin strip of rubber between you and the ground, but it's enough to protect you from gravel and glass shards. you can usually pick up a pair for between five and ten dollars.

but, getting sized and shopping for vibrams sales online is a good idea. the cheapest i've seen them is during big sales at mountainhighoutfitters.com...but you kind of have to keep checking in for good sales, otherwise they just sell them at full price.
    You can also find decent sales at TheShoeMart.com.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Thank you for all the suggestions! Good stuff.