Thread: Newly discovered species of genus Homo page

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

You know Homo Neanderthalensis and perhaps Homo Floresiensis (the "hobbit"). Now they've discovered another species of Homo that was living as recently as 40,000 years ago:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8f3e63fe-3758-11df-9176-00144feabdc0.html

How odd to think that we once shared the planet with several other species of bipedal, intelligent hominans. Is this how the ancient mythology of elves and gnomes and such originated?

This new species apparently branched off from the human line of descent a million years ago! Yet now, we Homo Sapiens are the only humans left. It's a lonelier planet without our funky cousins. Why did they go extinct after surviving for eons? Did our ancestors play a part somehow?

It is a crazy chain of events that led to us being here instead of some other animal. Discoveries like this remind me how incredibly unlikely and fragile our existence is, and how important it is that we understand and honor our genetic legacy, lest we quickly follow our cousins into the dustbin of history and close the book on bipedal apes forever.

Here's to you, extinct Siberian hominid.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

This is really cool. It really is quite interesting that there were these species of human were still on Earth? It raises all sorts of questions abouth their existence and ours as well.

My favorite part of this is that the bones were found in Siberia. One of my life goals is to traverse Siberia and see as much of it as I can. I've only seen Western/European and Southern Russia, but not Eastern. It really would not surprise me is more species or things like this were discovered there, seeing as how isolated it is and how cut off you can be from the rest of the world. But the most interesting part of this is that they were not that isolated, being in the middle of Eurasia. You wonder if they came across other species of human and if there are any accounts of it.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I agree, Fury22. Siberia used to be teeming with life before it turned into taiga and permafrost. I expect we'll see many more fascinating discoveries from ancient Siberia, preserved by the elements.

"Kolyma, wonderful planet,

Twelve months winter, the rest summer"

The whole earth used to be much more hospitable to bipedal predators like ourselves... now we're down to one last species, scratching out an existence through agriculture.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

I think so as well. Even among Russians Siberia still has that "unknown" allure, of course because much of it is still untouched or unexplored. Russia is a fascinating place to be anyway. At some point I would really like to study an indigenous language of Russia (other than Russian), and travel through Siberia. There's so much more to Russia than people really know. I think it would be interesting as well to study how big this civilization of homonids was. Like the article said, they weren't really isolated in comparison with some others on islands or cut off from travel. They were in Eurasia and more than likely at some point came into contact with other humans.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999