Thread: Sore muscles and working out page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

In the same vein as questioning my previously held beliefs about diet and fitness, I've come to wonder about sore muscles after working out. Up until I became pregnant 3 years ago, I worked out at the gym and did some light cardio and yoga on a pretty regular basis-say three times a week, with yoga once a week. Sometimes I would push myself harder than others, but I almost always had some muscle soreness in one part of my body or another. I would think of it as a good kind of sore, but I never actually knew how long I should wait for another workout.

I am sadly less fit and heavier (and in the process of healing my leaky gut and related issues), but I'm trying to get back on track fitness-wise. I've started to include burpees, squats, and hour long walks up and down very steep hills, as well as kundalini yoga. These exercises leave the muscles (and ligaments?) surrounding my pelvis really sore, in a way that feels unfamiliar (I'm sure after giving birth that area has changed a lot), and I can't seem to figure out if this is a good pain or a bad pain. The same goes for other parts of my body that I've been working.

Am I pushing myself too hard? How long should I wait if my muscles are sore before working them again? Should I wait until all the pain has lifted?

Our fancy hone-scale says I have about 25.2% body fat, 35% muscle, if that helps--not that I want to get too technical about it. I'd like to loose about 10 pounds of fat.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

When did you have your last baby?

claude512 is offline Senior Member

I would say listen to your body, and do what you feel like doing! If the soreness is too much, then take it easy, if you don't feel pain then make it harder

Also you don't necessarily have to be sore the next day (or feel the 'burn' from lactic acid during the exercise) for a workout to be effective

As for walking, if you feel sore too much then walk slower, take breaks etc... walking shouldn't be about the intensity, but rather the duration, and the enjoyment!

For the 10 pounds of fat, I wouldn't worry too much about that with exercise, get the diet right and the fat will come off

Beauty is offline Senior Member

I had my son 2 years and 3 months ago. I dropped down to my pre-preg weight (129 lb) less than a year after that, then I experienced fatigue, and digestive problems became worse and I gained a little weight. So I decreased my workouts and adjusted my diet and gained 5 pounds. I altered my diet again in December to no grains no sugar and lost 5 pounds. Then in Jan I gained 10 lbs in a month for various reasons, one among them was eating too much and eating dairy, fruit, and nuts. I've cut those last three things out in the last 2 weeks (except I tried some raw dairy for the first time, but only in moderation). ANYWAY, I am getting on top of my diet: very low carbs really helps my sense of control. I'm also having my thyroid checked.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

As far as soreness goes, it's hard to comment. Once you get into a routine and increase your fitness level, soreness should subside. However, if you continually get sore after every workout when your body should have adjusted, you may be lacking sufficient rest or protein.

There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" soreness. Soreness is not an indicator of progress. In fact, most progress is made when athletes do not get sore after training. It will happen if you are just starting to workout again due to a lowered fitness level, but should subside once your body becomes stronger and able to handle and recover better.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999