Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about grapefruit and sugar in spices page

cariboo87 is offline Junior Member

Question about grapefruit and sugar in spices

Shop Now
    Is it true that a grapefruit every morning is good for fat loss?

And I thought I was 100 percent primal until I read the ingredients on the spices I use. Most of them say there is sugar in them, is there enough sugar in them to affect my fat loss? Most of the ones I use are "clubhouse" brand and such

cariboo87 is offline Junior Member
    bump

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    I think a grapefruit most mornings would be good for weight loss. Grapefruits have very low sugar as far as fruits go, are low calorie, and full of nutrients. Studies have suggested that grapefruit decreases appetite. I eat them a lot when they are in season.

I also read the back of seasoning or spice mixes and if they have funny stuff in them (sugar, malodextrin, MSG, whatever) in them I don't buy them. I don't know if the sugar in a seasoning mix would have a huge impact on weight loss, but if you are 100% primal otherwise, why go off script just for a seasoning mix? You can always whip up your own seasoning mix so you know the ingredients and put it all in a shaker and it will leave you set for quite some time with minimum effort.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I avoid sugar and its lesser known names in my spice mixes. I see no need.

Also, I read that there is an enzyme in grapefruit that effects the liver's ability to effectively manage excess estrogen levels which could potentially be an issue for men in large quantities, and might be a bad thing for women who are a bit more estrogen dominant than is necessary. The occasional grapefruit likely won't have much effect, but I wouldn't make it a focal point or even a regular inclusion in your diet for the above mentioned reason.

Edit: Link to study - Inhibition of 17 beta-estradiol metabolism by grap... [Maturitas. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    Last edited by Drumroll; 12-11-2012 at 12:54 AM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    interesting Drumroll...I can binge on grapefruit in season, but this study will make me rethink that!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Are the spices for the grapefruit? W/sugar use to be the only way I could eat them. So I didnt eat them. But then I tried them w/o the white pithy part, that seems to be where all the bitterness is. And sometimes I even take the skin off. It's more time consuming but they taste alot better w/o needing anything on it.

I havent for a long time, but I have used my NuWave oven and baked some. If I remember, that was pretty good
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    interesting Drumroll...I can binge on grapefruit in season, but this study will make me rethink that!
    Like I said... The occasional grapefruit probably won't cause much harm. But binging on them and even just having one or two of them daily may make a noticeable difference. If you decide to eat them they should be an occasional treat and not the focal point or staple of your diet. That is my only point.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yeah, I avoid sugar and its lesser known names in my spice mixes. I see no need.

Also, I read that there is an enzyme in grapefruit that effects the liver's ability to effectively manage excess estrogen levels which could potentially be an issue for men in large quantities, and might be a bad thing for women who are a bit more estrogen dominant than is necessary. The occasional grapefruit likely won't have much effect, but I wouldn't make it a focal point or even a regular inclusion in your diet for the above mentioned reason.

Edit: Link to study - Inhibition of 17 beta-estradiol metabolism by grap... [Maturitas. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    Yes. I was counseled by my oncologist post breast cancer to avoid grapefruit.

And yes, they are some sneaky buggers when it comes to getting sugar into spice mixes. Even some garlic salts have it. Lesson learned: Always bring the reading glasses to the grocery store.

Paleobird, I first heard about it on a weightlifting site. Some guy was complaining how he was losing lots of weight but growing manboobs and not making muscle gains.

The resident forum experts traced it to the fact that he was eating a lot of grapefruit. Then I did some research on it and sure enough, it can have that effect in sufficient quantities.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    PrimalCon New York
    Paleobird...did you eat a lot of grapefruit prior to your cancer diagnosis? I find that I crave them...which is probably pretty bad in itself....long history of maternal breast cancers for me....

I think I will stop eating them cold turkey...I just dont need to up my risk even further---any other advice on foods to avoid?
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast