Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter page

Jason Hook Guest

I know, it's not on the list, and I'm not one to make too many exceptions with things, given that I like to do things the "right way." But, well, Almond Butter is ridiculously expensive and for us regular people, paying $7-$10 for a jar of it is really hard to justify. What are your thoughts on continuing to eat peanut butter (all natural, peanuts and salt only, of course)? Is it that bad to have a few servings per week?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

As long timers here know, I love peanuts. They are, of course and unfortunately, loaded with carbs and N-6 oils (although not as bad as some other nuts.) And I don't get into the nut vs. not a nut argument.

I've settled on buying SMALL bags of roasted in the shell peanuts maybe once a week. Peanut butter is just too easy to eat too much of all at once. It is also "pre-digested", in theory, everything will hit your bloodstream much harder and faster. Chewing food still leaves lots of chunks for the system to further break down.

The ultimate answer to your question, Jason, is individual. If you are trying to lose weight, peanuts are not a good thing to consume. If not, in moderation.

mayness is offline Senior Member

I don't really know how bad it is... to be honest, I haven't done enough reading to know why all legumes are instantly terrible to eat. (Maybe it's in the book... I don't have the book.)

I still eat it a few times a week. I'm not too worried. But then I also still eat mostly cheap meat, not all my veggies are organic, I have diet soda a couple times a week, etc. I'm not trying to be perfect, just significantly healthier than I was before. =] Maybe some day I'll try harder.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

I hear you........ I loooooove peanut butter. I can go through jars and jars of the natural stuff. It&#39;s delicious, filling and affordable. I have almond butter and sesame seed butter on hand but they are expensive! I&#39;m off all nuts and nut butters trying to break a plateau and I&#39;m finding that few things satisfy me the way a few tablespoons of a nut butter do. Sigh......

tac99us is offline Member

Trader Joes has Almond Butter with Flax, it&#39;s cheap (same as PB). The almonds are roasted, so it&#39;s probably not great, but is very tasty and most likely better for you then PB

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

Just as a thought, if you can find a farmer&#39;s market, you may be able to find almond butter or others for very cheap. I live in SC, but go occasionally to the Dekalb Farmer&#39;s Market outside of Atlanta. I got over 2 pounds of almond butter for less than $9.

And it&#39;s made right in front of you, not pre-made. Fresh!

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Legerity is offline Junior Member

I&#39;m a recovering peanut-butter addict, made the switch to almond butter. I never get sick of either of them, straight out of the jar. You may be able to find some big jars at Costco, here they were about 7-8 dollars each I believe, 737g size.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I have to confess: I don&#39;t like almond butter. I&#39;d rather eat real, raw almonds. As for peanut butter, I agree with the above poster that if you aren&#39;t trying to lose weight then moderation is probably fine.

I always found peanuts and PB made me really thirsty...I tend to stay away from both. Though given the choice between PB and AB, I&#39;d go for PB every time...better flavor, IMO. When I was on the CW lifestyle/diet PB was a daily snack (on apples or banana). On primal, I&#39;ve found I just don&#39;t need it or crave it.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

I love the Raw Almond Butter, which according to the ingredients, is just almonds. However, yes, it is expensive at $9.00 a jar. The organic is $20.00 per jar, which is crazy! You can find cheaper almond butter, but it&#39;s often blended with sugar, palm oil and other stabilizers, which increases the carbs.

I will keep buying the Raw almond butter in the hopes it will become more popular and prices will lower.

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

You can make your own almond butter! Here&#39;s just one link among many for a recipe:

http://www.rwood.com/Recipes/Homemade_Almond_Butter.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast